I've found the first 3rd Party 10.6 only app!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Vienna Sound Library Reverb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna SL

Vienna MIR Premium Edition

Boxed product, multiple DVD-ROMs

Available in Q3 2009

Stand-alone application and VST/AU plug-in for OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and Windows XP/Vista 64 systems

Open for Vienna Instruments as well as any third party VSTi or other external audio signals

Additional acoustic spaces

Can't wait to hear it. Wow this must the the first OS X 10.6 only app I've seen thusfar. That is intriguing to me because by Q3 there will only be likely 10-15 percent of Mac users on 10.6. Now my mind is racing thinking about what features in 10.6 are so good they cannot be done in 10.5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Now my mind is racing thinking about what features in 10.6 are so good they cannot be done in 10.5.

Given that it supports XP and Vista, my guess would be the developers are being lazy. A lot of apps are limited to Leopard but don't need to be. They could be using GPU processing for VST plugins or maybe it's to do with 64-bit drivers. Whatever it is, I doubt it's anything special that had to limit it to 10.6.

I wonder if they are testing their app using the WWDC version of Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Given that it supports XP and Vista, my guess would be the developers are being lazy. A lot of apps are limited to Leopard but don't need to be. They could be using GPU processing for VST plugins or maybe it's to do with 64-bit drivers. Whatever it is, I doubt it's anything special that had to limit it to 10.6.

I wonder if they are testing their app using the WWDC version of Snow Leopard.

Yeah it's got to be the full 64-Bit in SL. I'm sure the optimization helps as well because in reading the spec this may be the most ambitious convolution reverb known to mankind. It's going to sound fantastifabulous but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it really needs 8GB of RAM in a computer to really spread its wings.