How to download songs?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello...New owner of an ipod. Sorry if these are beginner's questions.

How do I download songs from my exisiting music library on my PC to the ipod? When I open Windows Explorer and look in my 'comuputer' file it does not seem to recognize the ipod even though it is plugged in to the USB port.

It appears all this would work if I signed up for the iPod store, which I am not inclined to do. If I buy a product I don't think I should have to give the company who made it my personal information and a credit card number.

Is this a device that only works if you sign up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    You don't have to "sign-up" unless you want to BUY media through the iTunes store. You do, however, have to use iTunes to get media from your PC to your iPod. Either download iTunes from apple.com, or install it from the CD that came with the iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sony10 View Post

Hello...New owner of an ipod. Sorry if these are beginner's questions.

How do I download songs from my exisiting music library on my PC to the ipod? When I open Windows Explorer and look in my 'comuputer' file it does not seem to recognize the ipod even though it is plugged in to the USB port.

It appears all this would work if I signed up for the iPod store, which I am not inclined to do. If I buy a product I don't think I should have to give the company who made it my personal information and a credit card number.

Is this a device that only works if you sign up?

Running on Windows, your options are:

1) Install iTunes and add all your music into it. This does not require a credit card or signing up for anything. iTunes is a "media library" software meaning all it does is store, organize, and play the music on your computer. It makes it very easy to navigate your music library and provides tools to properly tag (or edit the descriptive information about the songs) your files. It is the easiest way, as every time you plug in your iPod, it will automatically sync the songs you have, play counts, ratings and other information so that your iPod and iTunes Library always reflect each other. iTunes also offers more advanced features such as syncing only specific songs or playlists to your iPod, audio enhancements (such as a multi-band equalizer and a "sound enhancer" that restores depth to your audio files), and the new Genius feature that will make playlists just from picking one song.

2) Other software such as Ephpod will provide other interfaces with similar, but more limited, features.

Ultimately, unless you have a strong reason not to install iTunes, I would recommend doing it. Using iTunes is the way an iPod was meant to be used and you'll be limiting yourself of the capabilities of your iPod by not using it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    What you need to understand is the difference between iTunes and the iTunes Store.

iTunes is the application to manage all the music, videos, photos etc which you want to put on your iPod.

The iTunes Store is a shop where you can purchase music, videos, applications and more. You access the Store from within iTunes. You do not have any obligation to use the Store, let alone buy anything from it.