Steve Jobs to stand for re-election to Disney's board

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wbrasington View Post

This is why we don't let professors out into the real world, or let them handle sharp knives or complicated machinery.

I can't believe the inability to understand the stress and strains of duty for a CEO vs. a guy sitting on a board.

This is even worse than I would expect from a professor, but I guess the University of Delaware must be really weak in their business degree department.

I hope his students get a discount.....

Right on!
  • Reply 22 of 37
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Am I the only one to equate a liver transplant with a desperate situation? Am I the only one to believe that Steve Jobs will be dead within the next 2 years? If the situation is so serious, why doesn't Apple, Steve Jobs and Disney stop the pretense?

I only know this from watching House, but they don't give livers out lightly. To me it seems like a good sign, there is no way they would give a liver to somebody who would be dead in two years.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John the Geek View Post

I love his quote. "Why don’t you guys leave me alone"

Found this on the 9to5 site.

Priceless Jobs.

• Reply 24 of 37
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mitch1984 View Post

** image **

LOL!
  • Reply 25 of 37
    He is the largest individual shareholder in the company, and has a tremendous amount of his wealth tied up in it (indeed, probably much more than his wealth from Apple). He therefore has a direct interest in oversight of the company.

As such, his interests are perfectly aligned with those of other Disney shareholders. Why the heck would a shareholder not want him on the board?

The fact that this is even a story -- with vacuous comments from so-called experts -- is astounding to me.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Btw, on the ethics of Bloomberg journalists on the issue of Steve Jobs see this excellent Fortune blog: http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...ned-to-a-rock/

Don't forget, these are the same folks - Bloomberg - who published SJ's obituary last August......
  • Reply 27 of 37
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

Something just doesn't add up.

This describes how I view the majority of your posts.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Am I the only one to believe that Steve Jobs will be dead within the next 2 years?

No. You are the only one who believes Jobs is a bad CEO because he doesn't have a

college business degree.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

On the contrary- I thought Ratatouille rather juvenile and derivative.

Wall-E on the other hand was rather insightful and provocative.

I would fully agree with that statement.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

i havent seen either of these movies but i totally agree with you.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Exactly. The thing I like about Pixar movies is that they seem to get better when watched again. I wasn't too excited about Cars, but my son lives it and breathes it. I find I like it more now after seeing it or parts of it 20+ times.

My second viewing of Ratatouille confirmed my disappointment in the movie. It was fine, but I don't want to see it again.

The jury is still out on Wall-E but my second viewing was quite enjoyable. My biggest problem with Wall-E was that the tone seemed to shift between childish and light and adult and cautionary as if it were two different movies melded together...
  • Reply 32 of 37
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

Am I the only one to equate a liver transplant with a desperate situation? Am I the only one to believe that Steve Jobs will be dead within the next 2 years? If the situation is so serious, why doesn't Apple, Steve Jobs and Disney stop the pretense?

:

The "people who are monitoring [Jobs'] illness" may in fact be real doctors .... but they have about as much real info on Jobs as you or I have.

Stop repeating speculation.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

His pancreatic cancer, together with 58 year old actor Patrick Swaze's own pancreatic cancer, snip, the 9 month's wait before the first surgery in 2004, the second, secret would be surgery in 2008 and, now, a third surgery that could involve a liver transplant.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

The "people who are monitoring [Jobs'] illness" may in fact be real doctors .... but they have about as much real info on Jobs as you or I have.

Stop repeating speculation.

Thank you.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    250 hours a year might sound like a lot, but that's an average of five hours a week, an hour per day per business day, or just over half a day once a week. I don't know how the board spreads that time around though, that's not one part of the business world I've taken time to learn about.

As for Pixar, I've always found their movies worth one watching, if not more.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Reminds me of a Prof that was trying to teach us how become wealthy.

Course he was only makin about 25,000 teaching....\

Amen brother!
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Assume for a second that he had a recurrence of cancer, would anyone want the press knocking down his door when he is coming to terms with the fact he would die? To harass someone who has achieved so much, in their time of grief or recovery is just plain sick.

People who claim they have a right to know simply because they have a shareholding in the company are equally if not more sick. Just because you gamble away some of your money doesn't give you part ownership of an individual.

Quote of the year as far as Apple (Steve Jobs) news goes.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Reminds me of a Prof that was trying to teach us how become wealthy.

Course he was only makin about 25,000 teaching....\

Did you ask him about that? While there is a clear chance that he's full of it, maybe there are particular reasons. The business world isn't for everyone, and not everyone has the tolerance to stay in it their entire life.

I have a cousin that made a chunk of change in the dot com boom and took his money out well before the crash. After a while he burned out, went to earn a PhD and is teaching now. I think he still has a lot of the money, I'm not totally sure. I didn't want to pry because I only see him once or twice a year.