"Summarise" service

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Did I miss this in 10.2, because I can't remember ever seeing it before ...

Select a document and choose "summarize" from the services menu ...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I selected an rtf file in the finder, and it just said that the text could not be summarized. Whats supposed to happen?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    You have to highlight the text itself, not the file. That would be a nice little feedback item to Apple though.

[ 09-19-2002: Message edited by: BuonRotto ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I don't remember seeing this before either... pretty useless though, every file I checked (HTML, TEXT, RTF, XPRESS, .DOC, .XLS) came back with the same reply: "This text cannot be summarized."

Bunch of arse.

Services seem like a great idea, but have yet to see an app that take advantage of them! C'mon Apple!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Hmmm selecting text works... unsure of the difference between sentences and paragraphs...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I've tried it before (it's been around since at least 10.1) but it's not too useful. I've never found those summarize service things to be all that effective (Word has had it for a while). :/
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Try adjusting the slider. When you have 'Sentences' selected, it pares the text on a per-sentence basis. Ditto for 'Paragraphs'.

What it's trying to do is figure out which sentences/paragraphs are critical to the meaning of the text based on relationships amongst them. (Sentence 1 has keywords 'a', 'b' and 'c', Sentence 2 has just 'a', so it's probably an expansion on 'a'... get rid of 2 and keep 1 as the lead-in.)

It's not perfect by any means, but for large documents that are well written it works surprisingly well.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>It's not perfect by any means, but for large documents that are well written it works surprisingly well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I resent the implication, Kickaha, that my thesis was not well-written. It was a master-work in the field of psychology and is going to be viewed as one of the most seminal works of research and literature (for it's riveting descriptions of couple interactions) for many years to come. I'm just too smart for my computer. :/