A Mac guy asking a really basic PC laptop question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm borrowing a friend's PC laptop for a few days and the trackpad is KILLING me! How do I change the settings so it doesn't mouse-click when I touch the trackpad? It has buttons for clicking, but for some reason, the trackpad is so sensitive that all it takes is a touch to click it. ACK! Help!

The laptop is a Toshiba running XP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

I'm borrowing a friend's PC laptop for a few days and the trackpad is KILLING me! How do I change the settings so it doesn't mouse-click when I touch the trackpad? It has buttons for clicking, but for some reason, the trackpad is so sensitive that all it takes is a touch to click it. ACK! Help!

The laptop is a Toshiba running XP.

Control Panel -----> Mouse------> Settings----->Uncheck point to click somewhere in that window.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    And if it doesn't have the setting, you may need to install the Synaptic trackpad driver for that model of laptop to turn it off. These drivers sometimes allow you to add a scroll feature to the right of the trackpad so you can scroll windows like the Mac's two finger scroll.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    If Synaptic driver is not present in lower right corner (aka systray), go to Control Panel and doubleclick Mouse Icon - one of the tabs in newly opened window should be Device Settings. Click on it, click on Settings button again, look for Tapping on the left.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

If Synaptic driver is not present in lower right corner (aka systray)

It isn't.

Quote:

go to Control Panel and doubleclick Mouse Icon - one of the tabs in newly opened window should be Device Settings.

When I go to the control panel and click "Mouse" (I assume that's what you meant by Mouse Icon), I get an error message that says "Unable to connect to the Synaptic Pointing Device Driver". I'm guessing it was never installed? Where/how do I find that?

Quote:

one of the tabs in newly opened window should be Device Settings. Click on it, click on Settings button again, look for Tapping on the left.

Just in case it matters, there isn't a Device Settings tab, and none of the tabs mention anything about tap. Still, the touchpad works just fine other than that it's hyper-sensitive in terms of clicking. The slightest touch makes it click.