Apple equipping all Macs with iLife '09 for Tuesday launch

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple will officially launch iLife '09 this Tuesday and is in the process of making sure that each new Mac that leaves its retail or online stores will include a copy of the new digital lifestyle software.

As part of the launch procedures, Apple retail stores nationwide will undergo a refresh this week, complete with iLife '09 signage.

Sometime this afternoon or early evening, retail employees will also be fitting all of their existing Mac inventory with iLife '09 drop-ins -- essentially DVD copies of the software suite that are slipped into existing retail boxes, which the user must then install on their own.

New Mac orders leaving the Apple's manufacturing facilities later this week should include the software pre-installed.

iLife '09 includes major upgrades to iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand, which introduce new ways to organize and manage photos, create movies and learn to play music.

Building on its ability to automatically organize photos into Events, iPhoto '09 introduces Faces and Places as new ways to organize and manage photos using face detection, face recognition and GPS geo-tagging technologies.

Meanwhile, iMovie '09 expands on its fast movie creation capabilities by adding features such as the new Precision Editor, video stabilization, advanced drag and drop, and animated travel maps.

For aspiring musicians, GarageBand '09 debuts a whole new way to learn to play piano and guitar with 18 basic lessons and optional lessons from top artists such as Sara Bareilles, John Fogerty, Norah Jones and Sting.

iLife '09 also includes iWeb '09 for authoring custom websites and iDVD '09 for creating DVDs. iWeb '09 also adds new iWeb Widgets, such as iSight video and photos, a countdown timer, YouTube video and RSS feeds.

iLife Up-To-Date

While iLife '09 will be included with every new Mac sold from Tuesday onward, the software is also available as a $79 upgrade for existing Mac owners. Customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after January 6, 2009 are entitled to participate in the iLife Up-To-Date upgrade program, which offers a copy of the software for a shipping and handling fee of $9.95.

iLife '09 requires Mac OS X version 10.5.6 or later, a Macintosh computer with an Intel processor, a PowerPC G5 or 867 MHz or faster PowerPC G4, 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), QuickTime 7.5.5 or later (included), a DVD drive for installation and 4GB of available disk space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Now, I hope Apple can release some new desktops!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    iLife '09 doesn't seem that exciting.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Any idea when those drop-ins will get proper boxes and iLife be sold as such too. Or even more the 3-in-1 combo with iWork, OSX and iLife ?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I can't bring myself to use iPhoto for anything other than ordering cards or books. Or loading an iPod with photos. I am interested to see how well the face recognition works, but I don't think it would be enough to make me stop using Lightroom.

I use iMovie once in a while. The iMovie changes look substantial.

The Apple website won't take my new Mac's serial for the iLife update. Others with the same issue....
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Hmmm? I just ordered one of the refurbished MacBook Air's and it hasn't shipped yet, I wonder if it'll get iLive '09 before it ships...
  • Reply 6 of 39
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I was just wondering when this would happen because the store shows iLife'08.

With this announcement- next week the new white MacBook will be mine.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

iLife '09 doesn't seem that exciting to me.

There, fixed that for you. Understandably there will be opinions that range the gamut from disinterest to

elation regarding iLife '09. I'm pretty jazzed about the updates but I'm looking forward to using most of the apps

included. iWeb will probably get the least amount of use until I get MobileMe.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    iLife is a great package, but I'm one of the many people that only use iPhoto. It's getting harder and harder to shell out $79 for that one program.

I know, I know... Apple isn't forcing me to purchase it, but if they had a $39.95 iPhoto option, that would be nice.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Now, I hope Apple can release some new desktops!

Ditto.

Mac Pro please.

Hole burning in my pocket.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

iLife is a great package, but I'm one of the many people that only use iPhoto. It's getting harder and harder to shell out $79 for that one program.

I know, I know... Apple isn't forcing me to purchase it, but if they had a $39.95 iPhoto option, that would be nice.

It's actually a free program so complaining about the price seems a bit much to me. It comes free with every Mac, you only have to pay if you want to upgrade.

Given that the original functionality of the program (the version that came for free on your computer now), is perfectly adequate, there is no over-arching reason for anyone to upgrade at all. If on the other hand you decide you can't be without the one or two new features, the price seems more than fair IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

Although unethical, you could....

1) purchase iLife '09 $79

2) install iPhoto '09 on your computer.

3) resell iLife '09 for $49

4) Profit!
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Ditto.

Mac Pro please.

I'm just hoping for some better video card options for my previous gen Mac Pro.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

Hmmm? I just ordered one of the refurbished MacBook Air's and it hasn't shipped yet, I wonder if it'll get iLive '09 before it ships...

No It won't.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iLife '09 requires Mac OS X version 10.5.6 or later, a Macintosh computer with an Intel processor, a PowerPC G5 or 867 MHz or faster PowerPC G4, 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), QuickTime 7.5.5 or later (included), a DVD drive for installation and 4GB of available disk space.

I hope Snow Leopard will have similar system requirements.

In particular not leave behind Power PC altogether.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:

perhaps not for you, but I'm betting you don't use ilife that much anyway. for those that use it, many are quite excited.

i myself am excited that Apple is moving away from supporting only its own services. using iphoto and iweb without mobileme was a pain. Now if I am using iweb I can set it to give me the same ease of use with any ftp capable server. and my sister the facebook junkie can use iphoto for uploading galleries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Any idea when those drop-ins will get proper boxes and iLife be sold as such too. Or even more the 3-in-1 combo with iWork, OSX and iLife ?

my guess, tomorrow. or every shorter after (by the end of the week). rarely do they have something on the machines that you can't buy retail also.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

It's actually a free program so complaining about the price seems a bit much to me. It comes free with every Mac, you only have to pay if you want to upgrade.

yes but it only comes free if you just bought a computer. if you got one before Jan 6th you are hosed on the freebie. you have to pay full price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

unfortunately it sounds like they are making the move to Intel support only. So some things might still work on a PPC but by accident. not because they were written that way.

because this is an under the hood change there's not likely to be anything super huge that a PPC person will be totally left out by staying with Leopard.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Snow Leopard is intel only, isn't it ?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cozagada View Post

Snow Leopard is intel only, isn't it ?

So far it is. With the last new PPC machine being about 3 years from the SL release, it would be better for Apple to not add support for it. It adds cost and time and complexity to it when they are trying to streamline the OS. Plus, they don't have to stop updating Leopard immediately.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    I hope They box bundle Sno Lep with iWork 9 an iLife 9.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

Ditto.

Mac Pro please.

Same here, I have been ready to buy since fall.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So far it is. With the last new PPC machine being about 3 years from the SL release, it would be better for Apple to not add support for it. It adds cost and time and complexity to it when they are trying to streamline the OS. Plus, they don't have to stop updating Leopard immediately.

"Better"? You obviously don't own a PPC machine. And I don't consider dropping support after less than 3 years to be adequate, particularly in the case of pro machines like the G5 quad.

At this point we simply don't know, they haven't said whether they will support PPC or not.