installing leopard

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
okay, i just swapped out my imac harddrive. it came with the Tiger OSX, but i bought a macbook pro that came with Leopard. Would the disc work on my imac if i just run an install on it? cuz the technician guy wasn't too clear on it since he can't tell me exactly how to do because of the liscencing issues and what not... he told me to hook a firewire cable between my imac and mbp, then boot my imac up with the leopard disc... and is that all i do?



or are there any more specific steps i need to take?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 4
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by killamike View Post


    okay, i just swapped out my imac harddrive. it came with the Tiger OSX, but i bought a macbook pro that came with Leopard. Would the disc work on my imac if i just run an install on it? cuz the technician guy wasn't too clear on it since he can't tell me exactly how to do because of the liscencing issues and what not... he told me to hook a firewire cable between my imac and mbp, then boot my imac up with the leopard disc... and is that all i do?



    or are there any more specific steps i need to take?



    It probably won't work directly. The DVDs that come with you Macs typically on work on the model it shipped with. So for example an iMac restore DVD will only work with the iMac.



    You can try hooking up the MBP and iMac using target disk mode, but I'm sure Apple has thought of that and it still won't work. The model check is before it starts to install, not while its booting.



    Your best bet is to either purchase Leopard, borrow a Leopard DVD from a buddy, or just say the hell with it and use Tiger. Of course, you could download it off a torrent site...but with all of the trojans going around on Mac software from torrent sites I wouldn't recommend that.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    hm, i guess it for the best i just buy leopard... it's only for 90 bucks at my school, so wut the heck... i'll install tiger first, i'll upgrade later...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I'm pretty sure macxpress is not correct.



    What i was told is that the leopard disk contains all the drivers you'll ever need. I've installed it successfully on an old G3 imac, intel white imacs, g4 imacs, MB's, G4 MBP with the SAME disk. I've also made a bootable leopard partition on my external firewire HD to trouble shoot.



    ....but i could be wrong. i know it has been like this before the leopard times, it has been a pain in the arse trying to find the correct disks in a 200 disk binder for tiger. it was alot of trial-and-error.











    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post


    It probably won't work directly. The DVDs that come with you Macs typically on work on the model it shipped with. So for example an iMac restore DVD will only work with the iMac.



    You can try hooking up the MBP and iMac using target disk mode, but I'm sure Apple has thought of that and it still won't work. The model check is before it starts to install, not while its booting.



    Your best bet is to either purchase Leopard, borrow a Leopard DVD from a buddy, or just say the hell with it and use Tiger. Of course, you could download it off a torrent site...but with all of the trojans going around on Mac software from torrent sites I wouldn't recommend that.



  • Reply 4 of 4
    royboyroyboy Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by big_ears View Post


    I'm pretty sure macxpress is not correct.



    What i was told is that the leopard disk contains all the drivers you'll ever need.
    I've installed it successfully on an old G3 imac, intel white imacs, g4 imacs, MB's, G4 MBP with the SAME disk. I've also made a bootable leopard partition on my external firewire HD to trouble shoot.



    ....but i could be wrong. i know it has been like this before the leopard times, it has been a pain in the arse trying to find the correct disks in a 200 disk binder for tiger. it was alot of trial-and-error.



    Did your Leopard disk come with a Mac that you purchased or was the Leopard disk purchased as a separate item? There is a big deal of difference when it comes to installing Leopard on multiple computers.
Sign In or Register to comment.