External Question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I have two external HDDs and one has music and the other has movies and confidential information. Is there anyway to seta password upon clicking the icon on the desktop w/o having to re-format? Or is there an easier solution that I am missin?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Zip the confidential stuff up with encryption
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Hide the power cord to the external drive until its ready to be used?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Hide the power cord to the external drive until its ready to be used?

Great answer! Sometimes the non-technical way is best. Remember that the US spent something like $20 million to come up with a pen that would write in space sans gravity and in any position.

The Russians use a pencil.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Great answer! Sometimes the non-technical way is best. Remember that the US spent something like $20 million to come up with a pen that would write in space sans gravity and in any position.

::grins::

I agree with the sentiment (in fact, lock up the *drive*), but the example... I love the story as much as the next guy, and man do I love bashing govt. misuse of money, but in this case it's Not really true

Highlights from that:

"Fisher developed his space pen with no NASA funding. The company reportedly invested about $1 million of its own funds in the effort then patented its product and cornered the market as a result."

and

"The Soviet Union also purchased 100 of the Fisher pens, and 1,000 ink cartridges, in February 1969, for use on its Soyuz space flights. Previously, its cosmonauts had been using grease pencils to write in orbit.

Both American astronauts and Soviet/Russian cosmonauts have continued to use these pens"

(bolding mine)

BTW, the main problem with pencils originally (hence why cosmonauts used annoying, inaccurate, smudgy grease pencils) is that tips of lead can break off and float around in little, itty bitty, hazardous pieces
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seek3r View Post

::grins::

I agree with the sentiment (in fact, lock up the *drive*), but the example... I love the story as much as the next guy, and man do I love bashing govt. misuse of money, but in this case it's Not really true

Highlights from that:

"Fisher developed his space pen with no NASA funding. The company reportedly invested about $1 million of its own funds in the effort then patented its product and cornered the market as a result."

and

"The Soviet Union also purchased 100 of the Fisher pens, and 1,000 ink cartridges, in February 1969, for use on its Soyuz space flights. Previously, its cosmonauts had been using grease pencils to write in orbit.

Both American astronauts and Soviet/Russian cosmonauts have continued to use these pens"

(bolding mine)

BTW, the main problem with pencils originally (hence why cosmonauts used annoying, inaccurate, smudgy grease pencils) is that tips of lead can break off and float around in little, itty bitty, hazardous pieces

Mea culpa. Thanks for setting the record (and me) straight.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Mea culpa. Thanks for setting the record (and me) straight.

no worries, my favorite myth to bust :-p
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Zip the confidential stuff up with encryption

That's a good i dear.

asus L3800 laptop li ion battery
  • Reply 8 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Hah! That's one of my favourite jokes of all time, exactly true or not.