HD - Fall free sensor vs. none

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everyone.

I was considering the 320GB - WD Scorpio Black (7200 RPM) vs. the 500GB - WD Scorpio Blue (5400 RPM)

In regards to performance the 500GB Blue version seems to be close or better than the 320GB Black version. Citing the following review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-hdd,2109.html

But,

only the 320GB Black version has a "Fall Free Sensor". The 500GB Blue version does not have s "Fall free Sensor". When I asked an Apple Genius about this, he said that he wouldn't recommend any hard drive that doesn't have a Fall Free Sensor. I called Western Digital. They said that of course a fall free sensor helps, but for a hard drop, even the fall free sensor won't ensure that hard-drive won't get scratched. And as such, the rep said that he didn't think it made that much of a difference weather one had the fall free sensor or not.

What are you thoughts?

Does the Fall Free Sensor provide a significant added safety?

Are there those of you who would still get the 500GB (knowing that it is lacking the fall free sensor)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danceclimber View Post

Hello everyone.

Are there those of you who would still get the 500GB (knowing that it is lacking the fall free sensor)?

It helps my psyche
  • Reply 2 of 8
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danceclimber View Post

Hello everyone.

I was considering the 320GB - WD Scorpio Black (7200 RPM) vs. the 500GB - WD Scorpio Blue (5400 RPM)

In regards to performance the 500GB Blue version seems to be close or better than the 320GB Black version. Citing the following review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-hdd,2109.html

But,

only the 320GB Black version has a "Fall Free Sensor". The 500GB Blue version does not have s "Fall free Sensor". When I asked an Apple Genius about this, he said that he wouldn't recommend any hard drive that doesn't have a Fall Free Sensor. I called Western Digital. They said that of course a fall free sensor helps, but for a hard drop, even the fall free sensor won't ensure that hard-drive won't get scratched. And as such, the rep said that he didn't think it made that much of a difference weather one had the fall free sensor or not.

What are you thoughts?

To my knowledge, the free fall sensor (accelerometer) on all Apple notebooks are embedded into every logicboard. Its not hard drive specific. You should be able to install any hard drive and it will still work. The technology isn't dependent on the hard drive at all. Its a feature of the notebook.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I had a user drop a black macbook (last edition) with the stock hard drive and the drive was dead, it would spin up but wouldn't anything. Replacement cost was minimal but the user was out of a computer for a day.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Hmm. Good point. I guess there's no need to worry about getting a hard drive with a fall free sensor since the motherboard takes care of that for you. Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I suspect the FF sensor is like 1% additional insurance. Is it really important a factor to even consider ?.

I think you should be more concerned about the vibration from a 7200 rpm drive. The 5400 certainly has zero vibration issues or heat issues. I was initially thinking about the WD Black but stayed away from 2 user posts about vibration issues and one about heat issue (increased heat).

I got the Seagate 500G 5400 Momentus 5400.6 and it is faster than the Hitachi 320GB 7200 rpm according to Xbench results.

It has zero vibration issues and heat is 2 deg C less than the standard 250GB drive in the MBP. Could be happier with this drive. Half terrabyte on a laptop is just awesome.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    I wouldn't recommend Western Dig. 7200rpm notebook hard drives right now. It's nice and fast (320GB model) in my MacBook White now but the vibration is definitely noticeable.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

I suspect the FF sensor is like 1% additional insurance. Is it really important a factor to even consider ?.

I don't think so. Laptop drives are rated for "500G", but that's roughly equal to a 4" drop to a hard surface. I doubt the sudden motion sensor makes a statistically significant difference.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I wouldn't recommend Western Dig. 7200rpm notebook hard drives right now. It's nice and fast (320GB model) in my MacBook White now but the vibration is definitely noticeable.

Correct!. That was why I got the Seagate 500.4 5400 rpm drive instead and its actually faster than the Hitachi 320GB 7200 rpm drive according to Xbench 1.3. Zero vibration and very fast, as well as running cool (2 DegC cooler)