Can't open iphoto, Can't find my pictures

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi,

I tried to upgrade iphoto using ilife 09. While iphoto was upgrading, it suddenly froze, so I force quite but when i relaunch my iphoto library, a window appears with "The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto.Your photo library will not be readable by previous versions of iPhoto after the upgrade. The upgrade process may take several minutes depending on the number of photos in the library." So I click upgrade, then an other window appears with "You can?t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto.You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Please quit and use the latest version of iPhoto."

Then I downloaded again ilife 09, but nothing changed. I created a new iphoto library which is the new version 09 and tried to transfer my pictures but I can't find them on my computer.

I did some search but I can't locate any folders of pictures. Where are they? I know i didn't lose them because the size of my original library is 4GB.

Should i go back to iphoto 08?

Right now I open my new iphoto library 09 which is completely empty and I'm trying to import my pictures by clicking on "import to library" in file and by selecting my old iphoto library. The pictures are downloading, it's gonna take a while because I have over 17000 pictures.

If it works, I'm afraid the pictures won't be organized by albums.

If anybody can help me find a better way to get my old iphoto library works it will be great

Thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Well if you have all your photos delete 08 and install 09 by not upgrading ive had the similar problem like that, for earlier versions. So i just to fresh installs now. Im installing mins now .
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Well as I said I can't even open my library.

I don't know how to get all my pictures back.

I tried to import my old library to a new one i created and after a few hours where I could see my pictures downloading, I got this message "iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem writing to the volume containing your iPhoto library."

At least I'd like to know where i can see my pictures in order to retrieve them and manually downloading them to my new iphoto library.

Any idea?

thank you for your help

Severine
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by severine26 View Post

Well as I said I can't even open my library.

I don't know how to get all my pictures back.

I tried to import my old library to a new one i created and after a few hours where I could see my pictures downloading, I got this message "iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem writing to the volume containing your iPhoto library."

At least I'd like to know where i can see my pictures in order to retrieve them and manually downloading them to my new iphoto library.

Any idea?

thank you for your help

Severine

Hmm, sorry i do not know cause it told me to update my libraryy and i did and that was it so i do not know.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasthetug View Post

Hmm, sorry i do not know cause it told me to update my libraryy and i did and that was it so i do not know.

I am having the same issue, and from what it seems, so are a lot of other people. My first suggestion is to let Apple know, www.apple.com/feedback the more people who complain about this, the more likely they are to fix it and release a patch for iPhoto.

On top of this, there is a thread I am watching over at Apple Support about it. They suggest a few different approaches to fixing it...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....85964&tstart=0

I hvaen't tried any of them as I won't be near my now unusable iPhoto library for the next week and am hoping Apple offer a solution in the mean time. We shouldn't have to lose all our folders when paying for an upgrade.

I really suggest filling in the feedback form to let them know.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Thank you, in a way i'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue. I followed all the thread, tried all the ideas but so far none of them were a success. I don't want to rebuild my iphoto again until someone can fix it. I have over 17000 pictures, i'm too afraid that iphoto 's gonna crash again. and it will be a waste of time. So i'm going to be patient.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Thank you, in a way i'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this issue. I followed all the thread, tried all the ideas but so far none of them were a success. I don't want to rebuild my iphoto again until someone can fix it. I have over 17000 pictures, i'm too afraid that iphoto 's gonna crash again. and it will be a waste of time. So i'm going to be patient.

I solved my issue, hope this helps you.

I moved everything off of my WD External HD. Then I reformatted it as Mac OS X Journalled (Extended).

I then moved my iPhoto Library back to the drive and opened it while holding down Command and Option.

I clicked the last option to rebuild the library from automatic backup.

It did it's thing for a few minutes and was then back up and running. Complete with all the faces nd Places information I had added before the crash last week.

Thanks again everyone.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ok thanks I'm gonna give a shot, but how did you formatted as Mac OS X Journalled

thank you
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I opened up Disk Utility from the Utilities folder in Applications. Then I selected the drive in the left hand pane. I clicked on the Partition tab and set it as one partition as Mac OSX Extended (Journalled)

Easy as.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I did what you said, formatted my external hard disk as Mac OSX Extended (Journalled)

But what I open iphoto while holding the option and command key, I didn't have the option of rebuilding the library from automatic backup,every other option were available but not the last one.

any clue?

thank you for your help
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

I did what you said, formatted my external hard disk as Mac OSX Extended (Journalled)

But what I open iphoto while holding the option and command key, I didn't have the option of rebuilding the library from automatic backup,every other option were available but not the last one.

any clue?

thank you for your help

Hmmm, nope no idea at all. Do you back your photos up?