Jaguar totally unstable

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've finally bought a new drive and installed Jaguar (clean install) on my Powermac 733. Everything seems to work as expected (well, more or less, quite some bugs). However, after using the system for a while, suddenly all apps close at once and the login screen appears. This happens on a regular basis (sometimes after 15 minutes, sometimes after 3 hours) and without notice/warning. It's not the scratch-disk-full issue (10 GB free on the system partition) and it can also always be triggered by simply chosing "About this Mac" from the Apple menu.

I've updated to 10.2.1 but the problem remains. Is this normal or am I having a hardware issue or a corrupt CD or something?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Sounds like your UIServer process is dying. You might want to try reinstalling. Make sure your install CD is *spotless*... the tolerances for even dust seem to be about nil with the OS X install discs. Go figure.

Don't bother reformatting, just reinstall.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    123123 Posts: 278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>Sounds like your UIServer process is dying. You might want to try reinstalling. Make sure your install CD is *spotless*... the tolerances for even dust seem to be about nil with the OS X install discs. Go figure.

Don't bother reformatting, just reinstall.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've already tried reinstalling. Is there an easy way to compare all files to a standard working installation?

"configd" seems to be the problem. If I kill that process and then restart the session (kill loginwindow), everything seems to be fixed. I can now choose "About this Mac" which was impossible before. However, I don't like the idea of killing that daemon unless I know what further complications this may cause. Does anybody know what configd is here for (I know that it provides certain config information to other processes but what exactly and what happens if it's not there)?

I also noticed that once configd is gone, domain name lookup finally works as it should (domain names entered in the network control pannel are now processed). I don't know if this has anything to do with configd but I thought that this was a bug and now it works...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Maybe it's your harddrive?