Replacing Macbook Hard Drive

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an old white Macbook, the 512 Ram, 60 GB Hard drive model, 2.0 Ghz. I'm currently upgrading my Ram to 2 Gb, can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive model replacement for the stock drive with good speed. I'm currently shopping on Newegg and I have no idea what I am looking for.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,347moderator
    This one should do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148364

If you don't need that much space, this 160GB would be ok too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145180
  • Reply 2 of 14
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I upgraded to a 7200 Hitachi. It works fine.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell8621 View Post

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136278

would this work?

Yeah, that would work.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

I upgraded to a 7200 Hitachi. It works fine.

Any vibration issues?

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE WESTERN DIGITAL 7200rpm drives in a MacBook White. Mine has definite vibration. Something to do with either the way the drive is or the MacBook White design.

Or it could just be my MacBook.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    So I got in my new harddrive, for reference the

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145228

My computer will not recognize it at all...When I try to re-install OSX, the computer says I need to select a drive to save it to, the problem is the selection area is blank...Is there anything I could be doing wrong in this? The reviews for the product have show it successfully added to a macbook before.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

So I got in my new harddrive, for reference the

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145228

My computer will not recognize it at all...When I try to re-install OSX, the computer says I need to select a drive to save it to, the problem is the selection area is blank...Is there anything I could be doing wrong in this? The reviews for the product have show it successfully added to a macbook before.

Did you open up disk utility on the top and format it as a GUID PARTITION?

or is the hard drive not showing up at all from the beginning???

what should be happening is that it shows up but it gives you an error.

at that point you need to use disk utility and format as a GUID partition

some hard drives like that are not compatible with mac.

give me an update after you check
  • Reply 8 of 14
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Any vibration issues?

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THE WESTERN DIGITAL 7200rpm drives in a MacBook White. Mine has definite vibration. Something to do with either the way the drive is or the MacBook White design.

Or it could just be my MacBook.

It made annoying vibration and more noisy in my MacBook Alu too, so I had no choice but to return it and use the HDD that came with the notebook instead. I wonder if seagate 7200rpm ones produce that much of vibration.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    The HD did not show up from the beginning...when I turned on the computer if just had a picture of a folder and a circle with a line thru it overtop which signals there is not drive present...I connected an external and a flash drive to see if the comp was just messing up, but it read both of them...

I've read through the reviews on newegg and discovered multiple people who have had success with this drive on their late 2006 macbooks...I'm starting to believe that the one I received is just DOA
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

The HD did not show up from the beginning...when I turned on the computer if just had a picture of a folder and a circle with a line thru it overtop which signals there is not drive present...I connected an external and a flash drive to see if the comp was just messing up, but it read both of them...

I've read through the reviews on newegg and discovered multiple people who have had success with this drive on their late 2006 macbooks...I'm starting to believe that the one I received is just DOA

it could be defective... i would buy one from a store with a good return policy and try it

just to find out if you got a defective one...

but there is a chance with the newer macbooks that this one may not be compatible.

Im running a 500 gig from a buffalo ministation in my macbook pro i believe its a samsung

its only 5400rpm but it works beautifully... thats always a good alternative.. more space, easy to replace, and a great re-usable case wha wha
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Listen closely to the drive when it spins up to see if there is any kind of mechanical noise that sounds wrong. If for example there is a noise that sounds like a marble being dropped on a table or even just repeated noises that sound like the drive is spinning up, clunking and trying to spin up again.

If there are no noises, make sue you have set the pins on the back of the drive ok. There are a set of jumper pins on the back beside the SATA port. You should use the CS configuration - if there are 3 pins, use the one named CS, if there are 2 with a connector attached, removing the connector gives you the CS configuration.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Listen closely to the drive when it spins up to see if there is any kind of mechanical noise that sounds wrong. If for example there is a noise that sounds like a marble being dropped on a table or even just repeated noises that sound like the drive is spinning up, clunking and trying to spin up again.

If there are no noises, make sue you have set the pins on the back of the drive ok. There are a set of jumper pins on the back beside the SATA port. You should use the CS configuration - if there are 3 pins, use the one named CS, if there are 2 with a connector attached, removing the connector gives you the CS configuration.

AHH Marvin.. so you are one of the Geniuses that started this site...

Very nice. Props brotha.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bryan0725 View Post

AHH Marvin.. so you are one of the Geniuses that started this site...

Very nice. Props brotha.

I'm afraid not, I'm just helping moderate. Users with the tag Administrator or Admin are more likely to be among those who started the site. Kasper, Lundy etc. I agree they've done a great job.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Hello all -

I just could not wait for the Imacs... I bought a used Mac Pro. I love it!!! I hooked a Western Digital 1TB external via USB to the Pro. I was messing around with itunes and now the only thing showing up on the external is music. WTF happened to my other files??? Can not get time machine to help. Hooked this up to a PC and it shows the same thing.

The external HD shows 400 Gigs used. There is still something there but I cant find it. HHHEELLPP!!!!

Robert