Superbowl - starts 11pm GMT - request for 'live' Apple ad info

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
1) Several threads here are discussing the possibility of Apple running a surprise ad during Superbowl tonight, Sunday 1st February. See the other threads for the thinking and sparse evidence behind this.

2) For those of us not in the US, Superbowl is the American national football league championship and the biggest TV ad opportunity of the year. It is scheduled to begin at 6:18 EST which is 11:18 p.m. (23;18) GMT. Although the game is technically in four 15 minute quarters, the clock is often stopped and there is a show (!) in the middle, on top of the other two TV commercial breaks. The next programme is scheduled to start at 10 pm EST or 3 a.m. (03:00) GMT Monday.

3) Finally this is a request for anyone able to watch this game, or rather the ads, to update this thread with any info on an Apple ad if and when it screens or indeed just to say there was no Apple Ad shown by the start of the final quarter. The World Wide Mac community would be truly grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Tim.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Sure, I'll do it.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    YAY! OFFICIAL SuperBowl - APPLE - COUNTDOWN THREAD
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I'll be asleep though. 11pm GMT is 7am in the morning my local time and I will be asleep because it's almost 12 midnight and I am staying up for Liverpool vs Chelsea.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Superbowl is underway. Please post your ad updates here,
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmillea View Post

Superbowl is underway. Please post your ad updates here,

National anthem and coin toss. Kickoff underway. If it'll happen, hopefully in the first quarter. Anyone know when during the game the 1984 commercial aired?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

National anthem and coin toss. Kickoff underway. If it'll happen, hopefully in the first quarter. Anyone know when during the game the 1984 commercial aired?

The 1984 ad showed just once, after the 3rd quarter. I suppose this has to be the prime slot.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Not that there's people working in Cupertino right now, but the website and Apple store page haven't been changed at all (i.e.: no "we'll be back soon" page at the store).
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Wow, I don't remember the commercials being this dumb. There have been some bad years before, but these are barely average for an ordinary Sunday. There are a surprising number that generally portray men as idiots. That's an uncreative standby. The Star Trek movie looks like it'll be mediocre.

Apple doesn't make desktop computers anymore, Star Trek is dead... the world is going to hell. :/
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

Wow, I don't remember the commercials being this dumb. There have been some bad years before, but these are barely average for an ordinary Sunday. There are a surprising number that generally portray men as idiots. That's an uncreative standby. The Star Trek movie looks like it'll be mediocre.

Apple doesn't make desktop computers anymore, Star Trek is dead... the world is going to hell. :/

Hang in there Phong!
  • Reply 10 of 19
    http://www.hulu.com/superbowl

http://www.hulu.com/feed/show/1734/clips

You can view all the Super Bowl commercials at the above link. The second is an RSS feed. They're added to the site once they air. Halftime is near and I'm going accross the street for some grub, but, if there's an Apple commercial, it'll show up on that site within minutes everyone else knowing.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Have any Superbowl commercials been that good recently? I don't expect much. In Canada, only a few of the commercials have come through, and they suck. I'm not shocked, mind you, but the more I think about it the number of commercials that were good enough that I can remember I can count on one hand (and I can't remember anything from last year).

As for Apple, the site is still unchanged, with the Mini and the bottom three iMac configs shipping in 24 hours (1-3 day for the top model).

I'm getting even more confident that Apple will do absolutely nothing.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    I guess a surefire indicator would be if the Apple Store is down.

But it's not.

So I wouldn't get my hopes up. Just enjoy the game and/or the evening.

And I'd bet the new iMacs will be introduced the first Tuesday in February. And the new Mac Pros the first Tuesday in March.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    The real news:

at halftime...

Pittsburgh 17

Arizona 7

Amazing turn events as the half ended with Pittsburgh's 100 yard interception return for a TD.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

The real news:

at halftime...

Pittsburgh 17

Arizona 7

Amazing turn events as the half ended with Pittsburgh's 100 yard interception return for a TD.

That was crazy.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    The New York Times was disappointed with this years commercials. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/02/bu...adco.html?_r=1

They did not mention Apple in their article even though they said that they were given early previews. So I guess not commercial.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I guess a surefire indicator would be if the Apple Store is down.

But it's not.

So I wouldn't get my hopes up. Just enjoy the game and/or the evening.

And I'd bet the new iMacs will be introduced the first Tuesday in February. And the new Mac Pros the first Tuesday in March.

but why on Tuesday?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by James Bond View Post

but why on Tuesday?

They always announce things on Tuesday. I forget the whole logic, but that's the history.

That being said, they usually let people know of a presentation a week in advance, so nothing major should be expected. They might post some (long overdue) speed bumps, but I wouldn't bet on anything new or surprising.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

They always announce things on Tuesday. I forget the whole logic, but that's the history.

Yeah, but silent updates aren't always on Tuesdays. The last update was on a Wednesday.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Nothing. F**K.