FCP Studio on MBP ??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm in the midst of Final Cut Pro Studio training. The machine I'm attempting to learn on is pathetic, PPC MDD G4. I've been waiting for Apple to introduce a new Mac Pro, so that I can get the most bang for the buck, but it seems to be taking them forever and I'm getting a bit antsy. I also figured that just about anything new (Mac of course) will do better than what I have now. Would a MBP be satisfactory? How well would would it run all the programs in the Suite, ie. Motion, Color, etc.? I know this may sound lame, but would it put that old G4 to shame?

Being portable would be okay and could be handy. I could go either way as long as performance in the MBP is more than reasonable. It could also clean up my desk rather well. Could two displays be run off of a 17" MBP?

On a side note, how many cores could the FCP Studio max out at? I nothing about core technology, so please be gentle.

Even though the processors are rumored for March 29, is that only when they become available to Apple and then they'd have to build the machines, then months after that get them in the consumers hands?

Opinions please? Should I wait or should I go?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

I'm in the midst of Final Cut Pro Studio training. The machine I'm attempting to learn on is pathetic, PPC MDD G4. I've been waiting for Apple to introduce a new Mac Pro, so that I can get the most bang for the buck, but it seems to be taking them forever and I'm getting a bit antsy. I also figured that just about anything new (Mac of course) will do better than what I have now. Would a MBP be satisfactory? How well would would it run all the programs in the Suite, ie. Motion, Color, etc.? I know this may sound lame, but would it put that old G4 to shame?

Being portable would be okay and could be handy. I could go either way as long as performance in the MBP is more than reasonable. It could also clean up my desk rather well. Could two displays be run off of a 17" MBP?

On a side note, how many cores could the FCP Studio max out at? I nothing about core technology, so please be gentle.

Even though the processors are rumored for March 29, is that only when they become available to Apple and then they'd have to build the machines, then months after that get them in the consumers hands?

Opinions please? Should I wait or should I go?

Thanks

Tony a Macbook Pro makes for a fine Final Cut Studio workstation. You have discrete graphics which are required for getting performance from Color. You have FW800 and Expresscard slots.

It'll be a whole bunch faster than your G4 which must be painful.

As far as Mac Pro...late March is likely the earliest we see new models. Feel free to skip a generation if need be the performance is only going to go up.