Will it fit? HDD in MBP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'll make this short. I just need either assurance I bought a good product that will fit in my MBP 2.16ghz or someone to tell me to return it before they ship it.

I think this just was released this year (09) from the research I have done.

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/data...tus_7200_4.pdf

Also, anyone know of any cons of running such a big HDD so quickly? Heat, noise, vibration?

From what I have seen there are really only about three 500GB 7500rpm HDDs out there to choose from and not many reviews on them ESPECIALLY in a MBP. Thoughts, comments, concerns would be great! thanks guys!

BTW... Just upgraded to 4GB ram. WOW. What took me so long?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    ummyeaaaa it will fit.

You might notice more vibration but it depends. Some drives are worse than others. You really have to try it out and decide if it annoys you enough to be a problem. The extra disk performance (30%) is worth some minor disadvantages.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

ummyeaaaa it will fit.

You might notice more vibration but it depends. Some drives are worse than others. You really have to try it out and decide if it annoys you enough to be a problem. The extra disk performance (30%) is worth some minor disadvantages.

What about differences in power consumption? I stuck with a 5400rpm drive in my MBP mainly for this reason. I just installed a Seagate Momentus 5400.5 in my MBP C2D 2.16GHz this evening.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    If the drive is 9.5mm thick it will fit.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef View Post

What about differences in power consumption? I stuck with a 5400rpm drive in my MBP mainly for this reason. I just installed a Seagate Momentus 5400.5 in my MBP C2D 2.16GHz this evening.

The 7200 will use more but only when it's doing something:

http://www.barefeats.com/hard56.html

So it uses about 30% more power but is 30% faster. You probably wouldn't notice the difference.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Too late now I don't want to take my MBP apart again. I was happy that it came back alive after installing the upgraded drive. On a side note, the machine seems faster than before presumably due to the newer/faster drive.