Blu-ray already in new MBP's?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So I'm getting the full dog and pony show from the guy at Best Buy yesterday on the 2.53Ghz MBP. Being new to the Mac realm, I asked him about Blu-ray. He said that the drives in the new MBP's are already Blu-ray capable and just need a software update, which will be coming free from Apple in the near future, to enable the playback of Blu-ray disks.

Can anyone confirm this for me? I've been searching the web and haven't been able to find anything regarding this on the newest MBP's.

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Dubious source... if this were true, this wouldn't be the first time we heard about it.

You did hear Steve Jobs' comments about Blu-Ray, right?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/14/s...a-bag-of-hurt/
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I wouldn't be surprised if you never see blu-ray in a Mac. Its simply not necessary.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if you never see blu-ray in a Mac. Its simply not necessary.

Yeah, that's because Mac users like to watch fuzzy standard definition DVDs on their $2700 MacBook Pros with 1920 x 1200 resolution screens?

DVDs look like crap when scaled up on a high resolution, HD capable monitor. It's almost like watching a movie on YouTube. True 1080p feature films will be huge file sizes and I don't even want to think about trying to download one on a "broadband" internet connection that rarely goes above 1 Mb/s. And I'd rather not have movies clogging up my hard drive.

If my MacBook Pro had a BluRay drive I could walk down to my local video store and rent a blue ray movie while talking to the pretty girl behind the counter. I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro 17" and it shipped with the exact same "SuperDrive" DVD RW that my 2004 PowerBook G4 had. Apple should be leading the PCs when it comes to adopting new media standards. They're sure happy about doing that with connectors and ports.

Bottom line is that standard definition DVD looked ok on my PowerBook with 1400 x 900 screen, but it looks bad on a 1920 x 1200 screen. This screen requires HD video. And that's what BluRay provides.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Wow... "The drives are already Blu-Ray capable and just need a software update". Wow. You should file a complaint immediately with his supervisor/ manager. This is blatant fraud. In fact, you should report this kind of behaviour to Apple direct. These kind of Apple Resellers, for example, Best Buy, damage and decrepit the Apple brand. There's probably also a violation of local, state and federal laws going on.

Is he saying that, the lasers/mechanisms, in tens of thousands of MacBook Pros, is a Superdrive with Blu-Ray playback all in a thin, laptop mechanism, and these tens of thousands of Superdrives with Blu-Ray playback have been shipping in secret for the past few months? Without a shred of evidence, without any teardown/ analysis by websites like Gizmodo, Ars, Tomshardware, Anandtech, etc, etc.?

It's guys like this asshole (and you should have torn him a new one) that give Retail a bad name and make me feel ashamed to have ever worked in Retail, which I did for over a year. Sad, desperate, lowlife stuff. No better than a street drug dealer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PPD3195 View Post

So I'm getting the full dog and pony show from the guy at Best Buy yesterday on the 2.53Ghz MBP. Being new to the Mac realm, I asked him about Blu-ray. He said that the drives in the new MBP's are already Blu-ray capable and just need a software update, which will be coming free from Apple in the near future, to enable the playback of Blu-ray disks.

Can anyone confirm this for me? I've been searching the web and haven't been able to find anything regarding this on the newest MBP's.

Thanks!

• Reply 5 of 7
    I enjoy how the word of a 1-post wonder is taken as gospel that some poor bastard at one of 900 stores has got his facts wrong.

Or maybe you're jumping to conclusions again.

Naaaaaah.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grahamw View Post

I enjoy how the word of a 1-post wonder is taken as gospel that some poor bastard at one of 900 stores has got his facts wrong.

Or maybe you're jumping to conclusions again.

Naaaaaah.

Me? Jumping to conclusions? To not to jump to conclusions would mean I'd have to think before posting. Which impedes my post count so I don't think before I post.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Even if they were using Blu-Ray capable drives, there's a lot more to do than just 'enable' the blu-ray. Blu-Ray requires HDCP, and OSx doesn't support it yet. If it were to come it would not be until 10.6.