Power mac /LCD monitor questions

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

Obviously I'm a new member. I'm a devoted (20 years +) if not highly knowledgeable Mac user.

I have a 4-5 year old Power Mac OS X10.2 (I think). My monitor died and I'm trying to get a quick fix. I want to use a non Mac LCD monitor. It has a DVI port and the DVI- VGA adaptor.

This could be a very dumb question, but are there potential compatibility issues with using another MFGR. monitor?? Driver issues ??

I'm looking at an LG or something similar. I just need a "band aid" solution till I purchase a new Power Mac later in the year (economic considerations right now) for my architectural business.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

Mark

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marks View Post

I have a 4-5 year old Power Mac OS X10.2 (I think). My monitor died and I'm trying to get a quick fix. I want to use a non Mac LCD monitor. It has a DVI port and the DVI- VGA adaptor.

This could be a very dumb question, but are there potential compatibility issues with using another MFGR. monitor?? Driver issues ??

Any monitor will do that's VGA or DVI. DVI is better as it's a digital signal but most of the time you don't notice the difference.

You should also consider a system upgrade. If you are running 10.2, it's quite an incomplete system. 10.3 was the first one that fixed most of the problems and improved performance a lot.

If it's a fast enough G4 with enough Ram, you could even get away with running 10.5 Leopard on it. 10.6 finishes up with PPC support so you probably won't ever need to upgrade beyond 10.5. Although there's no classic support in 10.5 if you still need to run OS 9 apps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Any monitor will do that's VGA or DVI. DVI is better as it's a digital signal but most of the time you don't notice the difference.

You should also consider a system upgrade. If you are running 10.2, it's quite an incomplete system. 10.3 was the first one that fixed most of the problems and improved performance a lot.

If it's a fast enough G4 with enough Ram, you could even get away with running 10.5 Leopard on it. 10.6 finishes up with PPC support so you probably won't ever need to upgrade beyond 10.5. Although there's no classic support in 10.5 if you still need to run OS 9 apps.

Thanks Marvin,

I neglected to say it was a G5 (but that really doesn't change things too much) I found a re furbished 22" monitor for a pretty decent price. I run a CAD system on this Mac for my business and it's always been spot on with performance capabilities for my needs.

I will be getting a new Power Mac Pro G5 later in the year if I feel like the economy has settled down a bit.

Thanks for the advice,

Mark