OS X 10.4 on external hd?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
is there anyway I can use my OS X 10.4 dvd from my macbook to install on my external hard drive and then run it on an older mac? if so how can I do this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,539moderator
    The easiest thing to do would be to clone your existing computer directly onto the older one. If the older one is PPC and the newer one is Intel, you can't share the OS but if they are the same architecture, get a program like Carbon Copy Cloner and plug your old machine in via firewire, boot up in target mode by holding 't', then it should show on the new one as an external drive. Then clone the internal system onto it with Carbon Copy Cloner.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The easiest thing to do would be to clone your existing computer directly onto the older one. If the older one is PPC and the newer one is Intel, you can't share the OS but if they are the same architecture, get a program like Carbon Copy Cloner and plug your old machine in via firewire, boot up in target mode by holding 't', then it should show on the new one as an external drive. Then clone the internal system onto it with Carbon Copy Cloner.

problem with this is the new macbooks don't have firewire what can i do?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,539moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcl116 View Post

problem with this is the new macbooks don't have firewire what can i do?

You can use a USB drive but it means two clones. You clone onto the drive from the new machine then boot up from it on the old one using the alt-key and clone from the external onto the internal.

This is certainly one scenario where having firewire would have saved a lot of time. I wonder why they don't enable target mode over USB.