Cheap MacBook Pro Docking Station

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Moderators: I accidentally posted this under Future Hardare, when I meant to post it to Current Hardware. Could you please switch it to Current Hardware if you can? Thanks!

I'm thinking of gettng a MacBook Pro, but I would like to set up a docking station for it, since I normally prefer desktops, and like to have a larger resolution and a full keyboard and mouse when possible.

I already have a 20 inch LG LCD monitor (which has been wonderful so far) and an Apple keyboard and mouse. I don't want to spend an outrageous amount of money on a cinema display. I have it the monitor hooked up to a non-Apple desktop, so I would get a KVM switch with USB and DVI.

Whatever solution I get must support DVI, since I get a 1600X1200 resolution with DVI, but only a 1440X900 resolution with VGA, and it's also less clear than the digital connection.

From what I understand, I'd need a DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter, but the one on the Apple site got *horrible* reviews, essentially one star for every review that was posted.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I figured out how to do this. I just need the following hardware:

1) MacBook Pro

2) Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter from the Apple site.

3) IOGear USB DVI KVM Switch: http://www.iogear.com/product/GCS932U/

4) Standard or Apple keyboard and mouse

The KVM switch is a little expensive because DVI KVM switches are rarer than VGA ones. My monitor only supports 1440X900 analog resolution, but 1600X1200 digital resolution, so it's a no-brainer.