Heat in current iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anyone had an iMac working continiously for days/weeks?

How hot did it get?

Was there any problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eidimon View Post

Has anyone had an iMac working continiously for days/weeks?

How hot did it get?

Was there any problem?

Not an issue as far as I know (I work at an Apple reseller we have demo iMacs running days and days, sometimes they don't get switched off at night). Just be sure to have the extended Applecare warranty if you are using these iMacs past the 1st year mark. My 2 cents.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks.

I am thinking of buying one when the new ones come out, but i am slightly worried about them overheating.

The days when my pc was open and working continuously for months are pretty much gone, but even now it's not unusual that it will be on and working for a few days in a row.

And as the iMacs are kind of a notebook in disguise, i was a bit worried that they would get pretty hot.

If there isn't an issue with that, i guess the probability for me to get one is quite larger...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I found my iMac quite hot (especially on the top).

But, it turned out to be the heat coming from the harddisk.

I exchanged the standard harddrive for a 1 TB version from WD. This drive is really cool.

Now, the iMac is almost cold on the top.

Was quite an operation by the way, but double worth it
  • Reply 4 of 8
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    It's gets hot, but I would assume it's designed to able to handle this heat.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eidimon View Post

Thanks.

I am thinking of buying one when the new ones come out, but i am slightly worried about them overheating.

The days when my pc was open and working continuously for months are pretty much gone, but even now it's not unusual that it will be on and working for a few days in a row.

And as the iMacs are kind of a notebook in disguise, i was a bit worried that they would get pretty hot.

If there isn't an issue with that, i guess the probability for me to get one is quite larger...

What is the ambient room temperature you will be running your iMac in? If it is anything less than 80 deg F then definitely no worries.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    i have a white imac late 2006 (Intel C2D) it's been pretty much running everyday since the day. i probably restart it or turn it off over night once a month. doesn't really do much but download the frequent video encoding over night.

no heating problems, i think it still maintains around 30C. it shouldn't unless there's a defect in your machine.

and i hear since the new iMacs are metal, it defuses the heat better? i suggest the iMacs as oppose to the macbooks, unless you REALLY need the portability. the iMac is basically a laptop w/o a battery. sometimes i bring it over friend's house and it takes 2 mins to setup. a mini lan party for CS, SC and Warcraft3. =)
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Well, the average temperature is something like 20 - 25 degrees Celsius (maybe a little higher in the summer), which is about 80 F. From what i've read above, there shouldn't be any problem.

I do have a macbook, so i am pretty covered as far as portability is concerned.

I was just asking about the iMac.

I have decided to replace my desktop pc (which is huge in size and a few years old), with an iMac.

If a refresh wasn't imminent, i would probably have bought one already.

The only thing i was worried about was the heat, as it may in some cases be running continuously for long time periods.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    The aluminum iMacs will get hot, and sometimes very hot on the outside, but thats by design. The aluminum casing in a way acts like a heatsink. If you don't believe me download a program that will grab temps of the internal devices you'll see the internal devices aren't that hot even though the case may be very hot. From what I've seen the 24" iMacs get hotter than the 20" models. I would attribute this to the heat coming off the display. I know on my 24" iMac if it turn down the brightness of the display it doesn't get near as hot as if I leave it fully lit for a while. My dad's 20" aluminum iMac almost never gets very hot at all and he always has the screen fully lit.