External Hard Drive Help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Alright, here is my problem. I currently use both a PC and a Mac, but don't have anyway to back up my files. For a long time I have wanted to purchase an External Hard Drive, but I need to know more about how this works.

Basically, this is what I want.

-To be able to back up my files on my PC and Mac, both on the same piece of hardware.

-To be able to use the PC files on my Mac

-To keep all of my iTunes Ratings/Play Counts

Can anyone try to educate me here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    You do not describe your systems sufficiently. What OSen do you have on the 2 machines? Are they both self-contained, ie no external optical or hard drives? Hopefully both boxes will have dvd burners already but guessing you are not that lucky. Choose one machine for an external firewire hd and plan to connect the other machine to it via ethernet. For which you will need a wired router, preferrably one with an NAT firewall for protection. This setup will avoid you having to plug/unplug the firewire cable to the ext hd constantly between computers or use of a switch which can introduce data errors.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauboy93 View Post

Alright, here is my problem. I currently use both a PC and a Mac, but don't have anyway to back up my files. For a long time I have wanted to purchase an External Hard Drive, but I need to know more about how this works.

Basically, this is what I want.

-To be able to back up my files on my PC and Mac, both on the same piece of hardware.

-To be able to use the PC files on my Mac

-To keep all of my iTunes Ratings/Play Counts

Can anyone try to educate me here?

< see top post >