MacBook Pro Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking to get a MacBook Pro and I'm looking to hook it up to a 20 inch LCD monitor using the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. From the reviews on the Apple site, it appears to work correctly, and nobody seems to have any problems with it.

However, there are a lot of bad reviews of the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter, which I understand is only needed for displays that are 30 inches or more.

Is there any potential for problems with the 20 inch monitor and the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, or is it a no-brainer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I'm looking to get a MacBook Pro and I'm looking to hook it up to a 20 inch LCD monitor using the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. From the reviews on the Apple site, it appears to work correctly, and nobody seems to have any problems with it.

However, there are a lot of bad reviews of the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter, which I understand is only needed for displays that are 30 inches or more.

Is there any potential for problems with the 20 inch monitor and the Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter, or is it a no-brainer?

It's a no-brainer. 30+inch displays require a much stronger signal than a 20" or 23" display. Since you're going to get the non-Dual-Link adaptor and using a 20" display, it's easy plug and play.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    From what I've been reading on the mini display port to dual link DVI is its an OS X graphics driver issue as the adapter appears to work fine when using Windows. When you try to use it with OS X it does all kinds of funny stuff.

But the regular mini display port to DVI adapter should work fine.