Help needed: Copying purchased music from apple tv to computer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi, Does anyone know how to copy purchased music from apple tv to the computer? I have only one main computer linked to apple tv but it does not seem to copy the music automatically. I have disconnected the computer but it still did not copy the music to the computer... Thanks so much to anyone who has a clue on how to solve this...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    It should copy over on the next sync. Have both the AppleTV and the iTunes app that it is synced to up and running. Now 'control click' the AppleTV device in the iTunes sidebar and select Sync. Your music should be in iTunes. To double check look in the 'Purchased on the AppleTV' list under iTunes Store in the sidebar.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

It should copy over on the next sync. Have both the AppleTV and the iTunes app that it is synced to up and running. Now 'control click' the AppleTV device in the iTunes sidebar and select Sync. Your music should be in iTunes. To double check look in the 'Purchased on the AppleTV' list under iTunes Store in the sidebar.

First of all, thank you very much for your help! Unfortunately, the option of "Sync" does not appear in iTunes for the AppleTV... I can only turn the streaming on/off, as well as sync the photos... but that's it. I also checked under "preferences" but there I can only chose which AppleTV I would like to connect to my computer. Am I missing something? I have iTunes Version 8.0.2.20 and the AppleTV is software series 2.3.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Your AppleTV is not set up to sync with your computer. It is set up to stream only. You must had picked "Add Shared iTunes Library" from the AppleTV>Setting>Computers menu when you set up the AppleTV syncing. This will establish a streaming only connection, not a syncing connection. The iTunes account that the AppleTV is synced to will show with two chain links in the above AppleTV menu.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Your AppleTV is not set up to sync with your computer. It is set up to stream only. You must had picked "Add Shared iTunes Library" from the AppleTV>Setting>Computers menu when you set up the AppleTV syncing. This will establish a streaming only connection, not a syncing connection. The iTunes account that the AppleTV is synced to will show with two chain links in the above AppleTV menu.

Yes, you are absolulely correct - that is what I did when I set up Apple TV. In order to be able to sync the two devices.. will I have to set-up the AppleTV all over again? Or is there any other way to set the music to "sync" and not only "stream"?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post

will I have to set-up the AppleTV all over again?

Yes.

First, be aware that your AppleTV can sync with only one iTunes account. That will be the account it gets the files that are stored locally and will transfer purchased files to. The AppleTV can also stream from five other iTunes accounts. It will get content form these accounts as needed but will not transfer data to them.

On your AppleTV go into the Settings>Computers menu and see if your AppleTV is currently synced to an iTunes account (it will have the two chain links). If it is, select it and disconnect from this account.

Also from the Settings>Computers menu select and disconnect from the iTunes account that you want to sync to.

Again in the same menu select the iTunes account you want to sync to. This time you want to sync to the account not to share it. -- Sorry, its been a long time since I made this connection with my AppleTV and I do not remember the actual dialog.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Yes.

First, be aware that your AppleTV can sync with only one iTunes account. That will be the account it gets the files that are stored locally and will transfer purchased files to. The AppleTV can also stream from five other iTunes accounts. It will get content form these accounts as needed but will not transfer data to them.

On your AppleTV go into the Settings>Computers menu and see if your AppleTV is currently synced to an iTunes account (it will have the two chain links). If it is, select it and disconnect from this account.

Also from the Settings>Computers menu select and disconnect from the iTunes account that you want to sync to.

Again in the same menu select the iTunes account you want to sync to. This time you want to sync to the account not to share it. -- Sorry, its been a long time since I made this connection with my AppleTV and I do not remember the actual dialog.

Thanks a million. It worked now!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    My Mac was in the shop for a couple of weeks. While it was there, I used my Apple TV (previously syned with that Mac's iTunes) to purchase some music. Now I have my Mac back from the shop, reloaded with my backed up library. Now, Apple TV does not recognize the iTunes library as the synced library. Therefore, it seems that if I re-sync my Apple TV with my iTunes library, I will lose the music that I purchased while the Mac was in the shop, since Apple TV will delete its files before it performs a new sync. Is there any way to trick Apple TV into recognizing the old library? It has the same name and everything. \
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ostersmasher View Post

My Mac was in the shop for a couple of weeks. While it was there, I used my Apple TV (previously syned with that Mac's iTunes) to purchase some music. Now I have my Mac back from the shop, reloaded with my backed up library. Now, Apple TV does not recognize the iTunes library as the synced library. Therefore, it seems that if I re-sync my Apple TV with my iTunes library, I will lose the music that I purchased while the Mac was in the shop, since Apple TV will delete its files before it performs a new sync. Is there any way to trick Apple TV into recognizing the old library? It has the same name and everything. \

Never mind. When you reset the sync on Apple TV, it retains any items purchased on the Apple TV. All of my purchased stuff is now synced with my iTunes library.