Airport extreme base station as router???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi all,

Just bought an Airport Extreme from Apple. Is there anyway I can use it instead of my existing netopia router. I'm getting mixed reports on whether I can do it. The AEBS appears to be able to take a dsl line. Please help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    The AirPort Extreme is a wireless router. You just plug your DSL modem into the WAN port and then you can use either the LAN (Wired) ports, and/or using wireless if necessary.

All of the controls for the AirPort need to be done through the AirPort Utility Software located in the Utilities folder (Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities). There you can change the wireless broadcast name (SSID), the password to access the airport software, any port forwards, etc. The default password for it I believe is public if it asks for a password the first time you log into the AirPort software.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisob View Post

Hi all,

Just bought an Airport Extreme from Apple. Is there anyway I can use it instead of my existing netopia router. I'm getting mixed reports on whether I can do it. The AEBS appears to be able to take a dsl line. Please help

Not sure what you're asking, but my first instinct is no.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Phone line goes to DSL modem, ethernet goes from DSL modem to router, bits fly through the air from router to computer. The Airport Extreme is a router, like any other.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Figured it out. Had my terminology incorrect. Got there in the end though. Thanks all