Buy an app, use it on both an iPhone and iPod touch?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Until today, I had always assumed that it was possible to transfer an app purchased from the app store to whichever device you owned. Meaning, if for some strange reason I owned both an iPhone and an iPod touch, I could transfer to both devices. Alternatively, if I had an iPod touch and got an iPhone, I'd be able to load my iPhone with those same apps.

The column below claims that this is not the case:

http://lapresseaffaires.cyberpresse....age-mobile.php

(sorry, the article is in French, and my proxy server blocks Google Translate. Still, I find the translations are quite compressible, although far from perfect)

Basically, the premise of the article is more people are jailbreaking their iPhones and installing unauthorized apps and pirated, and that the momentum is picking it up. App store developers are becoming concerned about these pirates.

Here's excerpt, translated from French:

---

Hackulous explains that it's it not fair to have to buy an app twice that one wishes to transfer from one's iPhone to one's iPod touch, if one has purchased that app with the sole intent of personal use, and it's with the goal in mind that these iPhone hacking tools have been developed.

-----

Is this true? I realize that this may not be, but I don't know where to verify it (since I don't have the terms of use or iTunes in front of me).

If it is true, then that's a difficult thing to accept. Granted, I've probably only spent at most $20-$25 on the app store so far, but if I had to repurchase those apps again, I'd be really annoyed. If I bought over $100 of apps, then I'd be pretty angry.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    No it's not true. As long as the devices are synced to your iTunes account, then there's no limit to how many the apps are installed on. I've had many of my apps installed on no less than 4 iPod touch's (my dad's, my sister's and two of my own [one was an old 1G, my current is a 2G] - my family doesn't have access to my account, I just put an app or two on there for them because they don't use the iTunes store at all).

So yeah, installing to additional devices is definitely possible.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    My folks and I, we sync several iPhones under one and the same account. I didn't get what exactly those pirates were talking about and where's the problem... They might be coping with jailbroken iPhones or with some incompatibilities between iPhone's and iPod's applications...

UPD: OK, that craculous just strips the DRM protection off the application to run on a jailbroken device, as brief web survey's suggested...