All this talk about 'iCamera'

mjemje
Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, kind of new here, but the other day I found somethings I had never seen before...

and

I had never seen the before, and I like 'em alot. Apple made a camera I guess. I think this would increase the chance of a new iCamera. What do you guys think? Anyone owned one?

[Edit: Need a spell check ]

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: MJE ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    If real, they are old. Brown? Color striped Apple logo?

Anyways, couldn't you have posted those pics in the ongoing exsisting iCamera thread as opposed to starting a new one?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    LOL! Trust me kids, they're quite real, I owned both of them! Not at the same time mind you.

The Quicktake 150, the lower one, was quite groundbreaking for it's time. The one on top, the Quicktake 250 was a little more... middle of the road. It was actually made by fuji, and rebranded by apple with some rather... craptacular image capture software.

I did love the 250, though, it was lots of fun to use.

lol... are they "real" ... he he he...

I'm getting all nostalgic now...

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 3 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I also owned both of them and have a QT 250 right across from me.

decent little camera back in the day but certainly wasn't cheap.

I once dropped it at a yankee game and it broke. this is like 2 years ago. I called up Apple and they actually replaced it. Who knew they still had QT250s in stock
  • Reply 4 of 16
    pb g3pb g3 Posts: 95member
    Those are really old. Like 1995 or something.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    I got my 250 quite cheap, it was maybe four years ago, right when they were discontinued, and apple slashed the price from $500 to $250, and my parents got it for me for christmas. The following year I replaced it with an Epson 750, which I still have, and gave the QT to my dad.

I don't remember how much the 150 was...

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 6 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    What's the resolution on those cameras?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xool:

<strong>What's the resolution on those cameras?</strong><hr></blockquote>

640 x 480 on the QT250

I think the 150 was something like 320 x 240
  • Reply 8 of 16
    we had the quicktake 100 in the graphic arts lab at school for years and i loved it. then we got the 250 and i couldn't believe how bad it sucked down batteries. we went through about 6 sets of lithium batteries before breaking down and buying rechargable ones. i guess it was the color LCD (the 100 was just a look-through and a small lcd that showed images remaining, etc.)
  • Reply 9 of 16
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    Just a little more info (got this off of <a href="http://www.theapplemuseum.com/)" target="_blank">http://www.theapplemuseum.com/)</a>

QuickTake 100

Resolution: standard: 320 x 240 dpi, 24 bit

high: 640 x 480 dpi, 24 bit

Lens: Fixed-focus lens

Built-in flash

Memory: 1 MB Flash-card (32 standard-resolution images)

System requirements (min.): Apple Macintosh computer, 4 MB RAM, MacOS 7.0.1 upwards

Connector: Serial

Power (watts): 28

Weight: 0.5 kg

Dimensions (mm): 55 H x 135 W x 155 D

Codename: Venus

Introduced: January 1994

Discontinued: ?

QuickTake 150

Resolution: 640 x 480 dpi, 24 bit

Built-in flash

Memory: 1 MB Flash-card (32 standard-resolution images)

System requirements:Apple Macintosh computer, 8 MB RAM, MacOS 7.1 upwards

IBM-compatible computer, 2 MB RAM, MS DOS 3.3

Power (watts): 28

Weight: 0.5 kg

Dimensions (mm): 55 H x 135 W x 155 D

Codename: Mars

Introduced: ?

Discontinued: ?

and...

QuickTake 200

Resolution: 640 x 480 dpi, 24 bit

Built-in flash

LCD-display

Memory: 2 MB SmartMedia card

System requirements (min.): Apple Macintosh computer, 16 MB RAM, MacOS 7.5 upwards

Power (watts): ?

Weight: 240g

Dimensions (cm): 7.7 H x 12.9 W x 4.7 D

Codename: Neptune

Introduced: ?

Discontinued: early 1997

Blurb (by theapplemuseum): In 1992 Apple started to develope its first digital camera - the "Venus" project. The QuickTake was an easy-to-use digital camera with a 1 MB Flash-card.

By releasing a conncetion-kit for Windows for QuickTake 150 Apple tried to sell its digital camera to Wintel users as well. Unfortunatly the QuickTake digital camera did not sell very well. The improved QuickTake 200 with LCD-display did not rise the sale numbers. Therefore Apple discontinued the QuickTake cameras in 1996.

[Edit: Fixing tags]

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: MJE ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I think there's a good chance that Apple will re-enter the camera market, possibly at MacWorld Tokyo. Now that resolution specs have improved and the marketplace has matured, it may be the right time. With iPhoto and iMovie2 already in place, a Quicktime based camera that took both video and photos would make sense. I have read elsewhere that iPhoto does not accept photos from current Camcorders that have that feature. Perhaps that was on purpose to give Apple an "exclusive" on such a feature. We'll have to wait and see.

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: MacsRGood4U ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 16
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    That reminds me..

Jonathan was hanging out in the OrangeInsider IRC channel a few days before MacWorld, and he was telling us all that AI's "sources" said there were going to be some FireWire still/video cameras from Apple, they were going to be the big announcement, he was so sure, they'll be great, etc etc.

Shithead
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I think it would be cool if Apple made a camera that you could shoot digital video and regular pictures. I know these are allready out, but it would just be cooler is Apple made on.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Ah, the bad old days of CEO Michael Spindler. Back then Apple had about a hundred different Performa models (including one with an X86 chip in it for Windows compatibility), and a whole line of overpriced (but very profitable) imaging products such as these QuickTakes, the OneScanner, the LaserWriter, and the StyleWriter. Back at my college newspaper, we used them all (though they had all been discontinued for a couple of years even then). Mostly they sold on the benefit of matching exactly the color/form factor of Macs of the day - and because so few peripheral makers cared to manufacture products with the Mac's "proprietary" i/o interfaces (SCSI, serial, LocalTalk... anyone remember GeoPort?). Like I said, the bad old days....

Watch, before I can post this, the thread will be locked (since we're not exactly talking FUTURE hardware).
  • Reply 14 of 16
    imagine a quicktime camera / ipod hybrid....

you take digital pictures which are stored on the units internal 5 gig hard drive. to review your images, use the ipod's thumb wheel and simply scroll through them on a color LCD screen complete with the ipod's clicking sound. when you're ready, download them directly into iphoto via firewire.

forget expensive memorycards...forget expensive card readers..all you need is the gizmo and a macintosh.

:cool:
  • Reply 15 of 16
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Oh yeah. I'd love a combo iPod/camera thing. I've been looking at <a href="http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/cameras/mc3/"; target="_blank">Kodak's MC3</a> combo mp3 player and camera thing, but it sucks because a) it only takes 640x480 pictures, of not the best quality, and b) it uses CompactFlash memory, so you know it has limited space, and upgrading it is expensive. Plus, it looks kinda cool, but not that cool... unless you're going for that cheap, black, flimsy plastic look.

Apple could do it way better, for sure, and being FireWire-based, auto-charging, really cool-looking, small and light (actually it might not be that small, after all is said and done..), and of course integrated with iPhoto/iMovie, would all be quite cool. However, and come on now, you know if it had a fairly decent lens and CCD in it, with a little LCD display in the back or whatever, that it would cost at LEAST $599. And $200 more for a halfway decent whole camera apparatus tacked onto an iPod is unbelievably conservative. I could see it even going upwards of $899...

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: bradbower ]</p>