New photos may show rear of next-gen iPhone casing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Leaked photos on Thursday purport to reveal a new iPhone design with an unfamiliar model number and a more subdued, matte black surface.

The images, first sent to iPod Observer in early form but followed up by a couple of larger versions at MacRumors, show what at first looks to be the familiar, tapered back of iPhone 3G but give signs that they may represent an entirely different model.

The empty shell appears to have official model markings for a 16GB iPhone but lists a new model number, A1303, that doesn't correlate to existing iPhone models with the same capacity. Existing 16GB iPhone 3G units often have the model number A1241.

More tellingly, the example put on display drops the glossy coat that has defined both black and white iPhone 3G models since launch. It's instead a dull, matte finish not unlike the back of current aluminum iMac models. The tip to Mac Rumors implies that the finish is also textured and less prone to slipping out of one's hand.

Supposedly originating from China, the photos are difficult to authenticate and still carry the risk of being identified as fakes. However, they're posted by the Observer in the belief that its history with sources supports this latest leak; tellingly, the news site was one of the first to have a photo of what was later confirmed to be the iPhone 3G's back.

Images of the claimed new iPhone back. | Image credits: iPod Observer and MacRumors.

There have yet to be additional rumors supporting the change in case design, though Apple has been steadily dropping hints of a widely anticipated iPhone revision, including a hardware identifier string for an unreleased iPhone 2,1 and statements by both Apple's Phil Schiller and carrier partners that allude to a June refresh.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    What about the FCC ID number? There's no information about it on the FCC site?
  • Reply 2 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This new-er iPhone will be known as the "unibody iPhone" lol

The real thing it needs though is a damn better camera, and yeah, throw in an OLED display too, thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

What about the FCC ID number? There's no information about it on the FCC site?

They may get away without that if the internals are basically the same, though I'm not 100% sure on that.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Aww heck, now I'm going to have to upgrade!

Still, looks good in metal.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    What's also suspicious about that image is how "o" and "e" are cut off on the bottom in "iPhone".

I also wonder what the "0682" means, at least it's the same on the 3G.

• Reply 6 of 56
    I'm calling this a fake (I could be wrong).

Mainly due to the un-Apple like info on the back. Apple usually likes to keep such info subtle.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    But on the other hand, the new tech for the unibody Macbooks makes me think a unibody iPhone is a distinct possibility - literally carve it out of a piece of Aluminum.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    The cropped letters are suspicious, but I have to say that I think I like the look of it. I wouldn't be opposed to buying such a phone in a few months...
  • Reply 9 of 56
    What does the inside of the current iPhone back look like?

Is it normal for plastic to be milled out on that scale? Though metal doesn't make sense - is there again that off-chance of the ceramic body?
  • Reply 10 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Me says fake - I am hoping for an even flat shape (flat front, flat back) and not rounded edges. The edges could be same alu as imac. I find the present iteration (lovely as it is) a little slippy with the overly rounded edges (I hate covers). Same screen size but a slimmer smaller phone.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Haven't we seen oddly-cropped letters on other leaks before that have turned out to be real photos? I could be totally wrong, but I seem to remember seeing these kinds of arguments before (e.g. odd lettering, and therefore fake) to have them turn out to be just artifacts of an early manufacturing state.

Again, I could be completely off.

One thing I would point out is that the camera appears to have no flash. I know that's something people have been hoping for.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Yes I had the misfortune of having my iPhone 3G slip out of my hand and bounce down a flight of stairs, with me doing a slow motion 'Noooooooo'.

Luckily it survived with barely a scratch, and I put a lot of it down to the rounded design, it's good at absorbing the blows, at least in my experience.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

What does the inside of the current iPhone back look like?

Is it normal for plastic to be milled out on that scale? Though metal doesn't make sense - is there again that off-chance of the ceramic body?

The current plastic back looks more like composite on the inside, possibly injection moulded, but not milled IMO.

Things I noticed about this image:
    • If you run it through PShop, you can see it's a real shape and has a couple of minor dust particles on it so it's probably not a render.

• No ports or connectors show, which they should if it's anything like the current model viewed at the same angle.

• It's a different shape than the current iPhone, the curvature of the corners is more organic and exaggerated, so probably not a current iPhone that has been altered.

My guess is that it's fake because the only way I can see the ports being missing is if they went to wireless everything which seems wildly unlikely. Since it seems like a real object, but is probably fake and has exaggerated curves on the corners I would say its a case that's been doctored in PShop to look like it's the iPhone instead of just a case.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

...the only way I can see the ports being missing is if they went to wireless everything which seems wildly unlikely.

You know, I hadn't thought about that at all, but is it so crazy? Couldn't it be like a wireless toothbrush - you just set it into a dock to charge/sync? Obviously, if Apple wants to call this an upgrade, their best case scenario (though, of course, not at all their only one) is to make this phone a demonstrable step forward from the old one. I could definitely see them doing something like this to make it completely different from all of the other cellphones on the market (that I know of, at least) both because it's new and flashy - that's got Apple written all over it.

One of the main issues that I can see shooting a hole in this idea is that they'd be forced to go back to bundling a docking station with every phone sold - something I sincerely doubt they're interested in doing. Also, it would mean a larger accessory to carry around with your phone (not just a cord and transformer, but a dock as well) to the office, while on vacation, etc.

I'm just speculating. I'm not married to this idea or even positing it as a likely option. Just thinking aloud.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

The current plastic back looks more like composite on the inside, possibly injection moulded, but not milled IMO. [*]No ports or connectors show, which they should if it's anything like the current model viewed at the same angle... My guess is that it's fake because the only way I can see the ports being missing is if they went to wireless everything which seems wildly unlikely.

I think the reason there's no ports showing is because this is only the plastic back to the phone, not the whole phone, that's being photographed. Hence the white hole where the camera should be, and the photo of the inside of the back instead of the other side of the phone. Perhaps the chopped off letters were a manufacturing defect and so someone snagged this from a discard pile of sorts?
  • Reply 16 of 56
    I came here for the cries of "FAKE" and was not disappointed.

I just love junior forensic scientists.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    *ahem*

So where will the Serial Number go?
  • Reply 18 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongoherbert View Post

I came here for the cries of "FAKE" and was not disappointed.

I just love junior forensic scientists.

Forensic does come from Latin meaning public, refering to an open, public debate so of does seem apropos that it is being "forensizifed" on an Internet 'forum', the route word of forensic. As for being scientific, I think anyone who has used PS or owned a CE is more than qualified to have an opinion when it comes to such rudimentary obervational science, but I'm being pedantic.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    So I'm taking that this is a matte finish? I don't know why they even went to plastic and not right to this. I understand coming from the first generation and the metal backing that was an issue with reception and gps etc. Everyone always complains when it's a crappy/cheap back finish.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post

But on the other hand, the new tech for the unibody Macbooks makes me think a unibody iPhone is a distinct possibility - literally carve it out of a piece of Aluminum.

Not going to happen. The metal would inhibit - or block all together - the signal reception. The first-gen iPhone had an aluminum back but had to leave the bottom portion plastic for the signal.