windows 7 first impressions and short review

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
First impression: what?

Review: Blue Screen of Death. Boots faster.

Ok, so the BSOD might be caused by the fact the software is beta or maybe my hardware made it unhappy.

The install was super easy and about 100x faster than previous windows installers, which seemed to function near their own black holes. Post install, most of the MBPs hardware was already set up, and the boot camp installer screwed the pooch, so i did a system restore (which worked).

The interface is basically exactly the same as XP, except that in their attempt to streamline things like preferences, they've made it maddeningly difficult to find what you're looking for. The "dock" is the same ole windows crap. It has no cool animations.

The start menu basically sucks just like it always did - requires at least 3 clicks to find what you want and a lot of navigation through menus which are poorly ordered.

I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to show the "My Computer" icon on the desktop and gave up.

They made changing the screen resolution easier.

Performance: TF2 seems like it might be running a little faster, but I didn't bench it. The OS boots and shuts down faster and when it loads its more or less ready to go. It seems like it multitasks about 1/10th as well as OSX, as even one app (like firefox) seems to kill the others. The look of the OS is better than the default XP crap, but still just bizarre. Why is there like a 10 pixel border around windows? What's up with the ugly buttons all over the place? The whole system is still lacking from an integrated look, which really helps OSX just look better.

I had a bunch of times when I had windows pop behind other windows that I needed to move everything out of the way in order to proceed. "Do you want to install this?" Kind of warnings, which I COULDN'T SEE!

This is the first OS I've used by M$ since XP, and frankly, if I paid for it, I'd feel totally ripped off. Even with the marginal performance benefits, I can't see paying money for this over XP.

What a POS. Maybe the final one will be better. This one is marginal.

For the record, I'd rather like it if M$ would make an OS that didn't suck because so many people use it, they think that computers should work like shit. W7 is a step forward, which puts them right where they were 8 years ago when XP came out.

So sad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I was impressed with Windows 7 Beta. Sure, it isn't Mac OS X and probably never will be. I had bad luck with the Boot Camp Xtras from the Leopard DVD. I have an iMac with Bluetooth keyboard. The Boot Camp install screwed up my keyboard. Windows would not sync up with my keyboard, but without the Boot Camp stuff, Windows emulated my keyboard as if it was a PS/2. My Bluetooth MIghty Mouse is dead (second time around) so I use a regular USB mouse. No troubles there. The audio does not work with Windows. Oh sure it is there, but Windows does not recognize the amp in my iMac and would require USB speakers or separate amplified speakers. For anyone who absolutely must have Windows on their Mac, stick with XP. Vista and Windows 7 use NTFS, so the idea of using FAT-32 and being able to read and write to the Boot Camp partition from Mac OS X will not happen without XP. To get My Computer to show up, right click on the screen and go to Personalize. Then click on Change desktop icons. Yeah, Windows is a pain as they insist on moving everything around. If you want to switch to Classic mode, you have to go to Personalize once again, scroll down to Ease Of Access Themes, and change to Classic there. You cannot go back to the older and better Windows 95 type of Start Menu. I must agree with freakboy, stay with XP. I have an iMac with 1 Gig of RAM. XP only requires 256 Meg, so I could use it (don't have it) with either Boot Camp or Virtual Box from Sun. Much to my surprise, Windows 7 will poke along using Virtual Box and just 512 Meg of RAM. So XP should be fine. Once in a Blue Moon, I stumble across something that won't work on the Mac. If Microsoft makes me an offer on Windows 7 Starter, say $100, I may take it. How insane, they are planning 6 or so versions of W7. Starter is the one that will only allow for 3 Apps to run at once. Hopefully, it will run on a modest Netbook.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WPLJ42 View Post

... Vista and Windows 7 use NTFS, so the idea of using FAT-32 and being able to read and write to the Boot Camp partition from Mac OS X will not happen without XP. ...

There are both commercial and freeware NTFS drivers available for MacOS X.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    When someone uses the term M$ it pretty much ruins the review for me. Everything seems biased from then on no matter what's being said. Apple$ able to charge too you know. Your review is way too one sided, but moreso the 'tone' of it. It sounds like you wanted to review to be bad from the start. We need to be realistic about the whole OS situation right now. Windows will never be OS X because it's not.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When someone uses the term M$ it pretty much ruins the review for me.

Microsoft's pricing deserves a $ in their name. It is not just a question of charging for software, but when you scale up to their enterprise solutions and decide on per-cpu, per-user, CAL, etc. you will appreciate their ability to rip people off. The only thing keeping them in check is the surge of open alternatives. OS X isn't free, but at least the server's pricing is sane.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Reviews peppered with 'M$' are the only reviews about M$ worth a damn reading.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

When someone uses the term M$ it pretty much ruins the review for me. Everything seems biased from then on no matter what's being said. Apple$ able to charge too you know. Your review is way too one sided, but moreso the 'tone' of it. It sounds like you wanted to review to be bad from the start. We need to be realistic about the whole OS situation right now. Windows will never be OS X because it's not.

I was really expecting windows 7 to be a lot better. Given the amount of time and money spent since XP came out, I was hoping for something good.

Win 7 is about the same as XP from what I could see.

Microsoft (notice the highly referential tone) has pissed me off in my life more than any other company. Simply from their sheer hatred of their users, my reviews will always give them a hard time.

There's my bias - take the rest of it with a grain of salt if you want.

RE: Leopard bootcamp installer - when i installed apple's bluetooth and sound drivers, both things stopped working. The sound was fixed by finding the driver online and installing it manually. I got sidetracked for awhile b/c i thought i had realtek sound but i had the other one.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I thought the Windows 7 Beta was very well done for being a beta. I think there could be some more polishing and a more fine cut UI for the Explorer but other than that the speed increase was very nice and so far, better than Vista.