DVD's look crappy on my 24' iMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an 24 inch iMac and when i try to watch a wide screen movie it looks really crappy. Is thee any software that can upscale or help make the DVD look better on my screen?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Connor747 View Post

I have an 24 inch iMac and when i try to watch a wide screen movie it looks really crappy. Is thee any software that can upscale or help make the DVD look better on my screen?

I noticed the same thing on my 24"

The problem likely

Displaying 720x480 content on a 1920x1080 screen. We definitely need a good upscaler
  • Reply 2 of 5
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I guess the best solution is to see if you can purchase (or borrow) the widescreen version of the movie.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    This sounds like it's going to turn into another request for blu-ray thread... :P

But you know what? With all do respect, the first mac I ever had that could play DVDs was an old beige G3/300 Tower (1999). For the past 10 years guess how many dvds I have watched on various machines starting with that G3 up to my Mac Pro? Zero... I have never watched a whole movie from start to finish...

Just my 2 cents...

Laters...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Is it looking pixelated or is it color? I suspect it has something to do with the color setting. Try selecting a TV gamma in the settings. The 24" iMac inherently has a really nice screen and should reproduce video well.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    You are taking standard definition content & playing it back on a high definition screen.

It's going to look crappy!

Have you tried VLC?