How to remove icon in System Preferences

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I threw out the software program for my Microsoft Wireless Explorer mouse as I got a Logitech mouse.

The icon though is still in System Preferences, but when I try to drag it to the trash it just flies back to where it is.

I did go into the finder but with no luck, I know the program's not there any more as when I click on it it says so.

Can someone tell me how I can remove the icon?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    go to /Library/PreferencePanes (not home directory). Delete what you want there.

Good luck.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Actually, it could be in either of these:

~/Library/PreferencePanes/

/Library/PreferencePanes/

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/

Check them all. It *should not* be in the last one, but I wouldn't put that past Microsoft's idiotic programmers to put it there.

Remember: the System Preferences app is just an abstracted interface to the prefs located in other places on your drive. It's not a folde like "Control Panels" was in Classic Mac OS. Thus, dragging an icon to the trash from within the System Prefs isn't going to do anything.
    Nizaam
  • Reply 3 of 3
    When you download new drivers for a logitech mouse an un-installer app, does MS not include something along those lines? If so you could just download the driver package and run the uninstall.

--PB