TSA and notebooks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm planning on traveling out of state but Im afraid that the TSA idiots are going to mishandle my macbook like they normally do with anything else they touch. I experienced stories about unresolved claims regarding broken computers that were set down on top on briefcases or fallen off the belts. Just not sure if I should bring it and let me know your experiences at the airports.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by montevina View Post

So I'm planning on traveling out of state but Im afraid that the TSA idiots are going to mishandle my macbook like they normally do with anything else they touch. I experienced stories about unresolved claims regarding broken computers that were set down on top on briefcases or fallen off the belts. Just not sure if I should bring it and let me know your experiences at the airports.

Happened to my colleague in the few months after 9/11. Wasn't a TSA person, it was actually a National Guard that mishandled his laptop. Dropped it or something.

Travel Insurance! Is perhaps the answer.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    I bring it and take it out of the bag and into a tray, alone, immediately. This usually prevents ineptitude-based catastrophes.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Mine's been through the TSA screening a couple times a week every week since 9/11 ... never a problem.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    TSA doesn't want to touch your stuff. They want you to touch your stuff. Like wirc says, put it in a tray yourself and put it back yourself.