Discover a password unknown to user

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is kind of a questionable activity, so I'll explain why first. My roommate has a mac (so do I), and I have an apple remote. One day I was playing with it at I found it worked for his computer too (well consciously noted, I already knew) so I started messing with his computer when he came back. Ironically he was high, so he freaked out. Anyway, I found out about the "say" command and I think it would just be hilarious to ssh into his laptop and have it start talking to him, especially when he's drunk.

The big problem: I need a user account and password on his mac.

The bigger problem: I want to do this without him knowing.

Here's what I've thought of, and reasons it won't work:

1. rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and reboot. The setup will run and make a new admin user account (I don't need an admin account, user or guest would work, but can't be created without admin pw). Reason it won't work: It changed the autologin, and it can't be changed back without the pw. If there's a plist file I could edit for autologin (or hell, if it's encrypted, just back it up with the current autologin info, then restore it after I make the new account).

2. Boot into the install disc, and I can reset the password. Won't work for obvious reasons (he won't know new pw).

3. install a keylogger. Needs admin pw to run though, so it won't work.

4. Sadly, he doesn't use firefox, so I can't use the show passwords trick there. FF can't import passwords from safari either.

5. doesn't use adium. I know pidgin/gaim used to have accounts and pws stored in plaintext (probably still does). Adium might as well, but he doesn't use it, so it's out.

6. Password recovery from an email account: no accounts will tell you the password, it's all just reset. I also don't know any non-university email accounts.

Ideas for something that would work:

1. He uses MSN messenger, if that stores pws in plaintext (doubtful) or in a crackable location, I could use that.

2. somehow revert the autologin after making a new account

3. something in single user mode, like install a keylogger and set it to autostart.

I can reboot the mac, although I'd prefer it if I didn't have to, because I have to wait until he has just a few windows open, so I can make it seem like it hasn't been rebooted. If rebooting is the only way, I can like with that too. So does anyone have any ideas how I can find out a password?