Using MiniMac OS on eMac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an eMac running 10.3.9, PowerPC G4 1 GHz: we have bought a MiniMac running 10.4.5. Can I update the eMac to 10.4.5 using the Mini start-up disk? If so, back-up & select "instal & erase" option? Any replies should be to an aged incompetent!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    In the past, the disks that came with a machine were specific to that model. So the answer would be, "No." I suppose it's possible that has change of late.

You can always try it though, insert the disk and see if it'll work.

Now, morally, doing so would bring your personal character into question.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I don't think so as the firmware in the machine generally won't allow you to boot from discs that came from another hardware model. You can use the same discs on the same model of machine such as another Mini but an eMac will likely reject it. You can however plug in firewire in both and clone the system from the Mini onto the eMac. This does mean wiping the drive however,

You can check if the clone will work ok by connecting firewire, booting the Mini holding t and then reboot the eMac holding alt. then choose the Mini as the boot device. If that works ok then you'd backup what you had on the eMac, plug the firewire in again but boot the eMac holding t and boot the Mini normally. Then use Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper and clone from the Mini to the eMac (get the order right).

Once the clone is done, eject the drive and hit the power button once to shut down. Then boot up the eMac with 10.4.x.

Note, if the Mini is an Intel one, this may not work at all. Also, there are copies of 10.4 on ebay that would save a lot of hassle.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Where can you get 10.4 on ebay? It's cheaper to buy 10.5, both of those machines will run 10.5 just fine.

You are better off running 10.5.

Disclaimer: you are only suppose to install that on 1 machine at a time.

Now, for 10.4, if both are PPC, you can put the eMac in target mode & plug into the Mini. Boot from the DVD & select the eMac as the destination drive.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmac1036 View Post

Where can you get 10.4 on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiger-10-4-FULL-...1%7C240%3A1318
  • Reply 5 of 5
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member

that's a rare deal, most are selling in the $90-140 range. Be better off spending the money on 10.5, amazon has it for $107.