Macbook any good for iLife?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

Been reading the forums for a couple of years now - always planned on getting a Mac but never seem to have the funds!

Will be getting one as soon as Snow Leopard comes out but my question is whether a standard Macbook is powerful enough to use for iLife? Want to make movies form my camcorder footage and don't want it to struggle/crash on me.

The alternative is an iMac but i'd prefer the flexibility of a laptop. Can't justify the cost of a Macbook Pro unfortunately!

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    If it's the aluminum Macbook one you want and your camcorder is firewire, it won't capture the footage as it doesn't have a firewire port. The white one does though and has been updated to the new hardware. This one will run iLife just fine though I'd recommend a 7200 rpm hard drive - 2GB Ram is fine to run it with. Buy the HD 3rd party, same with Ram if you decide to upgrade to 4GB as they are easy to install in the MB.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Wicked,

Any of the current Macbooks will run all iLife apps just fine... including the "Air". Keep in mind the firewire comment though (if your camera uses that.)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Either of the MacBook models should be good for you. The white does have the same GPU and a firewire for those stuck in 2003.

If DDR3 memory, an aluminum body + looks is what matters a little but more, go for the aluminum.