Is my MacBook dead?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just installed a new but old windows HDD, formatted it and installed Leopard. I then tried to install windows XP with Boot Camp. The computer restarted but never booted all the way it stopped at the apple screen and flashed a folder with a (?). I then tried to reinstall Leopard but I got no respones for the keys and the cd will not start to run. I then put my old HDD back in and it does something similiar but flashes a circle with a slash. What can I do? And it is way out of warranty so apple is no help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Buy a new HDD and install Leopard on it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

Buy a new HDD and install Leopard on it.

My original HDD was working before I took it out and I haven't done any thing to it.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I think the EFI doesn't know where your OS X partition is.

I would boot from your OS X Install disc by holding down the Option Button during boot up and then from the Tools Menu (I might be mistaken about the name) open the Start Up Disk Application. You should see your OS X partition there and you will be able to boot from it when you restart.

This might help you set it as your default start-up disk:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...4866&query=eno

Hope that helps!

Doug
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dougc View Post

I think the EFI doesn't know where your OS X partition is.

I would boot from your OS X Install disc by holding down the Option Button during boot up and then from the Tools Menu (I might be mistaken about the name) open the Start Up Disk Application. You should see your OS X partition there and you will be able to boot from it when you restart.

This might help you set it as your default start-up disk:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...4866&query=eno

Hope that helps!

Doug

It worked thank you so much I even called apple support and they didn't even tell me to use the option key. I was able to boot to the HDD and it started to work.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    OH YEAH this happened to me a few times and I was like, WTF? Option key on startup to the rescue. Glad things worked out.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dougcdougc Posts: 29member
    Glad it worked out! I can't believe that Apple Support didn't tell you how to select a start-up partition.