Permissions Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Here is a strange request for the UNIX geeks in the crowd. I have a network that multiple users have access to. I would like to install some remote desktop software (a la Apple Remote Desktop or Timbuktu) but there is no way that it can be afforded at this point. There are however quiet a few VNC client/server packages available online for free.

My question is this. When these apps are running they show up in the dock and any user can quit them or stop them from running. I want to make the server get up and running at startup and make it so that the given user cannot stop it from running. Is this possible via permissions or any other means?

--PB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    yes, its possible, and there are a couple of possibilities.

first, if u intend to give the remote users access to a gnu/linux-like environment, with xfree86 and things, its as easy as installing "vncserver" and then typing that in.

if u want to give them access to the macosx desktop, its a bit more tricky. what i did was find OSXvncserver. Then, i cd'ed to the folder that held it (in terminal). then, i went into it, into contents, into macos, and noticed the single binary program there (named OSXvncserver). i pulled that out of there, and put it somewhere useful (/usr/local/bin). then, to start the vnc server i type "OSXvncserver&" on the terminal. for ur security issue, u can do "sudo ls" then "sudo OSXvncserver&". sudo enables temporary root access. now no one can turn the server off, except people with access to root's pasword.

edit: also, the server isn't visible in the dock with either method. to kill it u gotta use terminal.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: thuh Freak ]</p>