Anyone KNOW How to RE-ENABLE Spotlight? TIGER?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've posted everything from the APPLE WEBSITE - doesn't seem to be any mac trained people there - hoping someone here has the know-how - various posts so you can have an understanding of everything I have done -

Thanks

Okay, well I verified and repaired, nothing shows in PRIVACY!

Downloaded spotless and it says NOTHING IS ENABLED, i.e. what I sort of knew, the HARD DRIVE is not enabled. Cannot figure out how to get it to work, the ENABLE SPOTLIGHT buttton on spotless is grayed out...

Please advise.

How do I turn spotlight back on?

Okay, downloaded that program (as well as verified disk), nothing.

When I try to enable via spotless, it's grayed out.

Also typed this

sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

and a few others to no avail as seen here.

http://www.technipages.com/os-x-leop...spotlight.html

Also, FWIW, if I try and add a folder in privacy, via PLUS + button or drag folder, nothing shows up in the privacy section of the folder - so part of me since SPOTLESS SAYS DISABLED that something SOMEWHERE is CHECKED OFF (Spotlight) and I need to figure out how to turn back on.

Please help.

ALSO tried this..

sudo mdutil -E Macintosh HD

Password:

This is what I got - - Macintosh HD is my HARD DRIVE NAME..

Macintosh:

Error, no index found for volume.

HD:

Mac-Book-Pro:~ composer$ sudo mdutil -E Macintosh HDMacintosh:

HD:

Mac-Book-Pro:~ composer$

_____

If I right clickon HD, I see after GET INFO..

22694-5217 Under Spotlight Comments.

When I go to PRIVACY, and add either with PLUS or DRAG and DROP, nothing shows up in the pane, again Spotless shows indexing as disabled.

Also tied this and got an error

Could not set indexing status for volume.

Mac-Book-Pro:~ composer$ sudo mdutil -i on /

/:

As stated, I downloaded the PROGRAM Spotless and Spotless shows that Spotlight is DISABLED, so shouldn't be a matter of somehow turning it back on? Honestly, I don't know why nothing shows up in the privacy pane, so if we could figure this out and get a folder or hard drive to show up, in privacy pane, then I can take it out and it should start indexing again.

Any other ideas? Hints like this should not be online if its going to mess up your system.

Here is where I got the tips, #11 turns off spotlight, however, as mention, nothing shows up in the privacy pane (dragged my HD), yet it has been turned off, so I need to figure out how to turn back on... Without reinstalling the OS.

http://www.giantmike.com/MacBookBatteryTips.html

Please help as I do have reasons for using TIGER and have Leopard on TARGET (External HD) and wedding pictures (my Princess bride and me, (smile)), and really need to fix this.

Thanks

Hope this helps...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    If you type

ls -al /

in the terminal, it will list the contents of the root folder and there should be a .Spotlight-V100 folder at the top. That's where Spotlight keeps its index.

If it can't create it, perhaps your permissions have been messed up in which case, run the permissions repair in Disk Utility.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I've posted everything from the APPLE WEBSITE - doesn't seem to be any mac trained people there - hoping someone here has the know-how - various posts so you can have an understanding of everything I have done -

Thanks

Okay, well I verified and repaired, nothing shows in PRIVACY!

Downloaded spotless and it says NOTHING IS ENABLED, i.e. what I sort of knew, the HARD DRIVE is not enabled. Cannot figure out how to get it to work, the ENABLE SPOTLIGHT buttton on spotless is grayed out...

Please advise.

How do I turn spotlight back on?

Okay, downloaded that program (as well as verified disk), nothing.

When I try to enable via spotless, it's grayed out.

Also typed this

sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

and a few others to no avail as seen here.

http://www.technipages.com/os-x-leop...spotlight.html

Also, FWIW, if I try and add a folder in privacy, via PLUS + button or drag folder, nothing shows up in the privacy section of the folder - so part of me since SPOTLESS SAYS DISABLED that something SOMEWHERE is CHECKED OFF (Spotlight) and I need to figure out how to turn back on.

Please help.

ALSO tried this..

sudo mdutil -E Macintosh HD

Password:

This is what I got - - Macintosh HD is my HARD DRIVE NAME..

Macintosh:

HD:

Mac-Book-Pro:~ composer$ sudo mdutil -E Macintosh HDMacintosh:

HD:

_____

If I right clickon HD, I see after GET INFO..

22694-5217 Under Spotlight Comments.

When I go to PRIVACY, and add either with PLUS or DRAG and DROP, nothing shows up in the pane, again Spotless shows indexing as disabled.

Also tied this and got an error

Mac-Book-Pro:~ composer$ sudo mdutil -i on /

/:

As stated, I downloaded the PROGRAM Spotless and Spotless shows that Spotlight is DISABLED, so shouldn't be a matter of somehow turning it back on? Honestly, I don't know why nothing shows up in the privacy pane, so if we could figure this out and get a folder or hard drive to show up, in privacy pane, then I can take it out and it should start indexing again.

Any other ideas? Hints like this should not be online if its going to mess up your system.

Here is where I got the tips, #11 turns off spotlight, however, as mention, nothing shows up in the privacy pane (dragged my HD), yet it has been turned off, so I need to figure out how to turn back on... Without reinstalling the OS.

http://www.giantmike.com/MacBookBatteryTips.html

Please help as I do have reasons for using TIGER and have Leopard on TARGET (External HD) and wedding pictures (my Princess bride and me, (smile)), and really need to fix this.

Thanks

Hope this helps...

Try reinstalling the latest software update. It should fix everything and you can keep your settings.