Quick question from a soon to be switcher

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all,

I'm getting sick of windows. It is a piece of s*** software. And funny enough NOT for all the reasons that people complain about.

I actually think windows is quite stable, i don't have troubles with viruses and mal-ware, but the things i cant stand are:

1. I fking hate the start-up time. Its like after you have started up the pc and get to the desktop, you ave to wait several minutes before the system becomes responsible, because it is loading all kinds of sht into ram or indexing or whatever. And you have NO way to get an overview of what is actually taking up you resources, because the taskbar or the task manager doesnt show it for real, and to edit your start-up programs you have to write fcking code in the "run" command bar! WTF?? How is that user friendly

2. The notifications! Windows constantly notifies you about stuff you don't want to know, and what worse is, that to grab your attention it automaticly shifts between programs, even while you are typing or something. This is unbearable.

3. It is so unbelievable unresponsive, and slow. Even on brand new computers, if you drag a windows over your icons, they disappear, and the window leaves trails and un-complete graphics after it. What wrong with the code?? How come you see low-bit DOS icons on the desktop before the real ones appear?

4. You have to re-start the system constantly. After an automatic update it even restarts WITHOUT asking you and without saving your documents! WTF? HOW can anyone think this is a good idea?

5. Outlook is intolerably slow. I am not kidding you it takes 3-5 minutes after clicking the outlook icon, till i can read an email.

6. Everything about the design of windows is just pure bad taste.

\\end of rant.

So my noob question is: Since i need my corporate email, does Mac support outlook exchange? What about outlook web exchange. If it does im set.

thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    ibluffibluff Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Hi all,

I'm getting sick of windows. It is a piece of s*** software. And funny enough NOT for all the reasons that people complain about.

I actually think windows is quite stable, i don't have troubles with viruses and mal-ware, but the things i cant stand are:

1. I fking hate the start-up time. Its like after you have started up the pc and get to the desktop, you ave to wait several minutes before the system becomes responsible, because it is loading all kinds of sht into ram or indexing or whatever. And you have NO way to get an overview of what is actually taking up you resources, because the taskbar or the task manager doesnt show it for real, and to edit your start-up programs you have to write fcking code in the "run" command bar! WTF?? How is that user friendly

2. The notifications! Windows constantly notifies you about stuff you don't want to know, and what worse is, that to grab your attention it automaticly shifts between programs, even while you are typing or something. This is unbearable.

3. It is so unbelievable unresponsive, and slow. Even on brand new computers, if you drag a windows over your icons, they disappear, and the window leaves trails and un-complete graphics after it. What wrong with the code?? How come you see low-bit DOS icons on the desktop before the real ones appear?

4. You have to re-start the system constantly. After an automatic update it even restarts WITHOUT asking you and without saving your documents! WTF? HOW can anyone think this is a good idea?

5. Outlook is intolerably slow. I am not kidding you it takes 3-5 minutes after clicking the outlook icon, till i can read an email.

\\end of rant.

So my noob question is: Since i need my corporate email, does Mac support outlook exchange? What about outlook web exchange. If it does im set.

thanks!

As a mac/pc user, i laugh at your experience. Learn to use your computer.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBluff View Post

As a mac/pc user, i laugh at your experience. Learn to use your computer.

wow. thanks for the reply.

are you serious. I have used macs/pc's professionally for more than 10 years, am "fluent" in the biggest software packages from microsoft, adobe, and autodesk. I know how the hardware work. I know the tweakings and settings. I use only relatively new machines, i even have a fking fresh install of windows with the lightest running antivirus software out there.

Truth is:

That software from adobe and microsoft have suffered so bad from bloated code (or what it is) that pc's today are conciderably slower to use than 5 years ago. Have you ever used outlook 2007 on a pc? If you have thousands of contacts and mails in your profile you will experience the same. I kid you not about the load time. And this is on a fresh install. And with everything checked through by competent system admins. Problems started with 2007 version. Nothing wrong with 2003.

In 2003 pcs with windows 2000 and the softaware from the times, was actually a pretty swift experience.

In 2009 people are fking downgrading to xp just to get tolerable speed.

Off course if you do nothing but browsing the web, you probably notice nothing.

But if you install Adobe CS package, Skype, msn, antivirus suite, microsoft office and suites from autodesk, i can almost asure you will experience all of the above problems.

Well sorry for the rant i actually just want to ask the question so i can shift (back) to mac. Any intelligence?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Not yet. Mail (Apple's e-mail program) is set to support Exchange in Snow Leopard (10.6); not sure about web exchange.

Currently, you can get Office for Mac, which includes Entourage, the OS X "version" of Outlook. However, it's been a long-running gripe with Microsoft that Entourage is a second-class exchange client in comparison to Outlook.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Not yet. Mail (Apple's e-mail program) is set to support Exchange in Snow Leopard (10.6); not sure about web exchange.

Currently, you can get Office for Mac, which includes Entourage, the OS X "version" of Outlook. However, it's been a long-running gripe with Microsoft that Entourage is a second-class exchange client in comparison to Outlook.

Thanks mr. H

Sounds good enough. I will buy one when snow leopard comes out then, when is it due?

Any experience with entourage, with regards to compatibility with calender files, shared contacts, sahred calenders etc? Does it suck badly?

And any other words on outlook web access, or how to access the exchange server when not on company network? Maybe Mail is the solution. If iphone can do it, a Mac laptop should also be able to right?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Depends on the version of Exchange you're using. If it's 2003 then Safari works fine. If it's 2007 then you will be directed to the Outlook Web Access Light client.

See the bottom of this article for a comparison

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...aa997437.aspx#

MS has stated that in future versions of Exchange they will fully support multiple browsers (no more "light" versions for non-Internet Explorer browsers).

Sounds like a lot of your problems now are caused by other issues or a culmination of issues and not necessarily just your desktop. Outlook should not take 3-5 minutes to open.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Depends on the version of Exchange you're using. If it's 2003 then Safari works fine. If it's 2007 then you will be directed to the Outlook Web Access Light client.

See the bottom of this article for a comparison

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...aa997437.aspx#

MS has stated that in future versions of Exchange they will fully support multiple browsers (no more "light" versions for non-Internet Explorer browsers).

Sounds like a lot of your problems now are caused by other issues or a culmination of issues and not necessarily just your desktop. Outlook should not take 3-5 minutes to open.

Thanks...sounds promising.

Regarding outlook: It really takes that long. And not only to me but a lot of people i know. But i have come to the conclusion that microsoft software just suck in general. Have you tried Powerpoint 2007? A presentation can take up to several minutes just to save! When the same presentation in 2003 saved instantly.

Im not alone on this:

Try to read this blog post. Its funny 'cause its true:

http://wanderingstan.com/2008-02-01/..._outlook_sucks
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Hi all,

\\end of rant.

thanks!

1/ msconfig or CCleaner

2/ Can be fixed..

3/ Bad machine

4/ Liar, it always asks..

5/ Just tried it...3 seconds

6/ No.... you seem to just have very little idea.

For info. with some Apple software you have to restart and the boot times on Macs in my experience are longer. Of course I can buy significantly better hardware in PC land compared to Cupertino fairyland.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

1/ msconfig or CCleaner

2/ Can be fixed..

3/ Bad machine

4/ Liar, it always asks..

5/ Just tried it...3 seconds

6/ No.... you seem to just have very little idea.

For info. with some Apple software you have to restart and the boot times on Macs in my experience are longer. Of course I can buy significantly better hardware in PC land compared to Cupertino fairyland.

1. exactly: You have to write msconfig in the "run" bar to control which programs are launched on start-up. So you basically have to know a secret code to go to this control panel. Why the F** did they leave this out of the grafical interface? And i honestly think that if you need to run some obscure 3rd party software (Ccleaner) to clean up your system after doing a clean install, and installing the basic software packages, there is something fundamentally wrong with the system.

2. The notification balloons can be fixed. But not the forced switching of attention, that interrupts your typing. It happens all over the system and is typical for MS software. Too lazy to find examples now.

3. Then all my machines are bad. An example: Try open a web page, in Internet Explorer 7. Then drag a, say ms powerpoint window over the first one. There is something totally wrong with the screen update especially on the user interface parts of the screen, and the window will leave trails and missing graphics. Even a light program like msn messenger does this. (note this is windows xp, newest servicepack, and on machines with +2gb ram and dedicated graphics.) I know its nitpicky, but when screen update lags, then theres something wrong.

4. No it does not ask. After running the automatic updates to win xp, it restarts after 5 min of waiting, if you dont interfere. I have lost much data on that account. Comming back from the coffee machine and then.... It has rebooted the pc without saving or asking. Same thing happens if you accidentally press the physical on/off button on the pc. ALL programs shut down, NO warning, NO questions WTF?

5. I can only tell for me and my colleagues experience. Up to 2-3 minutes, often more, before you read your first email. Mybe it is the exchange server, maybe something different, but this is ALL our machines and all times a day. Comare the speed to Gmail, and you just dont understand how anyone can pay money for such software.

6. Well i just expressed my opinion, so i have an idea. And i don't want to turn this into a mac/pc debate, because i can see advantages in both. But i think it is safe to say that windows or microsoft has never been famous for its good taste in design or interface. Look at past example like the paperclip, the search dog, etc. They just never had a clue.