LLVM 2.5 Released

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Release Notes: http://www.llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html

Massive is one word to describe the improvements.

Compiling Qt 4.5 and the FreeBSD kernel are just two projects available for LLVM now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *drool*

I'll be in mah bunk.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I'm assuming LLVM 2.5 will make it into the Xcode that ships with Snow Leopard this year.

I guess that puts release 3.x for 10.7.

LLVM is moving along nicely. I wonder if we're going to see ARM as a more

fully supported target.

WWDC will be interesting as always even for the non programmers who dare to dream.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm assuming LLVM 2.5 will make it into the Xcode that ships with Snow Leopard this year.

I guess that puts release 3.x for 10.7.

LLVM is moving along nicely. I wonder if we're going to see ARM as a more

fully supported target.

WWDC will be interesting as always even for the non programmers who dare to dream.

2.6 should bring CLang to full C++ compliance and thus remove the need for Apple to use GCC's cpp package.

Fortran and Ada additions in 2.5 are sweet. Shoring up the chip architectures is coming along.

The beauty of this project will be the way you can intermingle other compiler packages with LLVM to address many edge case options that the GCC just cannot meet or the Intel C/C++ only focus on, etc.

To be sure: GCC 4.4 is shaping up very nicely.

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

2.6 should bring CLang to full C++ compliance and thus remove the need for Apple to use GCC's cpp package.

Fortran and Ada additions in 2.5 are sweet. Shoring up the chip architectures is coming along.

The beauty of this project will be the way you can intermingle other compiler packages with LLVM to address many edge case options that the GCC just cannot meet or the Intel C/C++ only focus on, etc.

To be sure: GCC 4.4 is shaping up very nicely.

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.4/changes.html

Do you see Apple using GCC 4.4 ? I read a WWDC report that said Apple is only working on maintenance updates for their use of GCC 4. It made sense to me as their involvement in LLVM has only increased.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Do you see Apple using GCC 4.4 ? I read a WWDC report that said Apple is only working on maintenance updates for their use of GCC 4. It made sense to me as their involvement in LLVM has only increased.

They'll use GCC whenever LLVM doesn't have an equivalent and LLVM offers a more optimized footprint.

I think it's great for all of us to have 2 healthy options.

GCC has a history of being a bunch of prima donna architects that resulted in many arguments which before the advent of the LLVM project leaked all over the dev lists.

LLVM works with GCC and the ObjC/ObjC++ portions should be focused with LLVM. GNUstep leverages it already. With the amount of work going into it projects on Linux and other platforms that want to use ObjC aren't held in wait while Apple Devs and GCC Devs have battles of "wait your turn" on what is or is not merged into the GCC tree.

It's clear to me that the BSD licensing was a huge issue no longer a problem for Apple with LLVM.

Quote:

Why are the LLVM source code and the front-end distributed under different licenses?

The C/C++ front-ends are based on GCC and must be distributed under the GPL. Our aim is to distribute LLVM source code under a much less restrictive license, in particular one that does not compel users who distribute tools based on modifying the source to redistribute the modified source code as well.

It's a no-brainer that Apple's CLang project is to eliminate the need to deal with the GPL and thus move passed GCC.