Buying a new iMac overseas

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm irritated by the price differences between UK and American iMacs. I've noticed I can get the high-end US model for the same price as the 2.93GHz UK model. Would I be able to purchase an American iMac from the UK and if so, would there be any major issues I'd have to overcome?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Not from Apple's website, or Amazon. It's not as easy as you think. And you'll end up paying a handsome import duty and delivery charge if you can get it somewhere.

The only option is to get someone over there to buy it for you and ship it over, and then you still pay the import duty, the shipping, and the PayPal fee to send over the money to the friend. And you need to still go ahead a buy a UK power lead too, using an adapter will blow the fuse. One of the best but most riskiest ways is to buy it on eBay, like how I bought my Air. This is very risky though, and if you have a problem Apple won't replace your computer, they'll only take it off you can try to fix the problem, which isn't so bad I guess.

Bottom line: go for what you can afford, and get it in the UK store. It really is the easiest, safest and best way to go. And don't forget, those prices on the US Store don't include the sales tax American companies add on when you're checking out.