iPhone for any other carrier but AT&T?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have T-mobile, and want an iPhone REALLY bad lol but unfortunately, I keep hearing even if you unlock the phone, some of the features such as the App Store are unuseable.

Can I get a confirmation on this? And if there is a way to use an iPhone on T-mobile's network flawlessly, can you tell me how, even if it's by email. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    The app store works; visual voicemail doesn't, but I think most other stuff does.

You do have to beware about software updates: don't install them until the hackers who make the unlock give them a thumbs up.

Amorya
  • Reply 2 of 8
    stixbcstixbc Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

The app store works; visual voicemail doesn't, but I think most other stuff does.

You do have to beware about software updates: don't install them until the hackers who make the unlock give them a thumbs up.

Amorya

Also keep in mind, Att's 3G network is different from Tmobile's. So if you were to get the phone you wouldn't be able to use 3G. WiFi and Edge would still work though. I'm also with Tmobile, and I'm seriously considering switching over when my contract ends next week.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    If you can wait until the WWDC in May or June when the 3rd generation of iPhone is unveiled, you may be rewarded with more voice/data options than is currently available (as well as the new phone!). One of the biggest complaints about AT&T is the price of their plan for iPhone. Rumor has it they will announce different plan tiers to accommodate different needs. This would be smart given the current economic conditions. If you can afford it, I would advise getting yourself in to a Mac first, as this will make your move to iPhone a much more pleasant experience. I would not advise hacking your phone. If you have tendencies toward jailbreaking, then iPhone is not for you, rather iPod Touch. Once you go Mac you never go back.

Thank you for your service to the country.

Cheers.

• Reply 4 of 8
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The only people complaining about AT&T prices are people who have never owned a smartphone with unlimited data. AT&T's prices are mostly in line with the industry average.

I wouldn't make my future plans based on rumors. Many times rumors have been completely wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post

One of the biggest complaints about AT&T is the price of their plan for iPhone. Rumor has it they will announce different plan tiers to accommodate different needs.

• Reply 5 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Can I keep my old Verizon phone number if I switch to AT&T? Also, I'll be moving to a new state soon and I assume it would be good to switch phones after moving and not before? If anyone has experience switching phones, especially to iPhone, please share if you don't mind! I've never switched phones before.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    I'm also trying to figure out what the pitfalls are of using an iPhone on another network (in my case... Sprint). I'm free of my contract and I don't have a problem with AT&T's pricing plan, it's just that there's no AT&T signal at my house, which largely rules out getting an iPhone via the preferred route. Is the iPhone's 3G compatible with the Sprint network? (I read above it isn't with T-Mobile...)

I'll probably end up getting a Blackberry but it bums me out to be facing 2 (more) years without an iPhone after re-upping with Sprint for another stint.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Can I keep my old Verizon phone number if I switch to AT&T?

Yes you can move your Verizon number to AT&T. You give your phone number when you sign up with ATT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by radiospace View Post

I'm also trying to figure out what the pitfalls are of using an iPhone on another network (in my case... Sprint).Is the iPhone's 3G compatible with the Sprint network? (I read above it isn't with T-Mobile...)

Nope, the iPhone will not work with Sprint's network at all. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM mobile networks. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA mobile networks.

The iPhone actually does work on T-Mobile's network. Visual voicemail and 3G will not work on T-Mobile.

Quote:

I'll probably end up getting a Blackberry but it bums me out to be facing 2 (more) years without an iPhone after re-upping with Sprint for another stint.

I understand what you are saying. I was on Sprint for 8 years and grew to hate them. When I switched to the iPhone I wrote Sprint a letter informing them of how glad I was to be leaving and how terrible their customer service was.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    hatleyhatley Posts: 2member
    Okay, well I've made the conscience decision to switch from T-mobile to AT&T for the iPhone. I don't feel like jailbreaking or unlocking my iPhone as i'm not a hacker.

Plus T-mobile is kinda pissing me off, and AT&T will be cheaper with more minutes, so an easy decision. Thanks for the help.