Playing video on the new Mac mini?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I recently have gotten into video, such as downloading .mkv files from Vuze, and .mov and .avi files from various other places. Now that I will be purchasing a Mac mini I hope to watch movies from the iTunes Store. One of the things I hated about my Power Mac G4 500 is that it's slow processor could only play about 45 percent of the videos I had. The rest of the videos I tried either the audio and video would either out of sync, just sputter along, or refuse to play at all. Will the 2.0Ghz processor of the new Mac minis be sufficient for video, or do I need to go with the 2.26 Ghz processor offered in the "build-to-order" option?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mik3ymik3y Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ginopiazza49 View Post

I recently have gotten into video, such as downloading .mkv files from Vuze, and .mov and .avi files from various other places. Now that I will be purchasing a Mac mini I hope to watch movies from the iTunes Store. One of the things I hated about my Power Mac G4 500 is that it's slow processor could only play about 45 percent of the videos I had. The rest of the videos I tried either the audio and video would either out of sync, just sputter along, or refuse to play at all. Will the 2.0Ghz processor of the new Mac minis be sufficient for video, or do I need to go with the 2.26 Ghz processor offered in the "build-to-order" option?

Any modern computer can easily play movies. Just be sure you have a decent amount of ram and you are golden. Video playback is not intensive on the video card at all for it is run from the processor. Many of the videos you are playing could also be out of sync or corrupted, so it's not always the computer.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I have the previous Mini (2.0 C2D and GMA950), and it plays video... even 720p H264, just fine. The C2D cpu outperforms your old G4 by an order of magnitude, so no worries
  • Reply 3 of 4
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    I'd like to know how the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics outperforms the older integrated graphics. Has any site done a test that compares the two?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Ok, playing 1080p MKVs is a BITCH. VLC has always had problems, perrian has issues, wanna know what the answer is? Plex. It's free and it is very powerful for a HTPC app.

I went through hell trying to get 1080p to run on my 1.8ghz mini and my 2.33ghz mbp. Found plex, all issues went away. So in short, yes the new mini will play 1080p mkv just fine.