BSOD in Windows XP via BootCamp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok, so lately I have been getting Blue Screen of Death errors (BSOD) saying that "IRQL not less or equal". This usually happens while running resource intensive tasks like running iTunes, and playing a game. The computer's resources aren't being anywhere near fully tasked, and I keep it cool with a laptop fan cooler. It's a 15''MacBook Pro CD2 2.5 with 4 GB of RAM, only 3 of which are recognized and utilized by XP. The BSOD usually occurs after my sound output gets static and choppy. My more tech savy friends are saying that it's a RAM issue. The next time it happens, I am going to write down the whole error code, but of course it never happens when I need it to! The computer is under the Apple Care warranty extension that I had bought, but I don't want to have to send it in. I am currently in college, and it would be a very big problem if I had to send it in. Any thoughts and ideas before I go to Apple Support?

*EDIT* I haven't ever noticed any problem while in Leopard, but I rarely/never use Leopard in any resources intensive manner. I use XP via BootCamp for playing games, and for programs that require heavy multi-tasking. I don't know if that helps.