New Mac Mini with 24 lcd hdmi monitor OR $1499 24" IMAC?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys I am in a big dilemma. I can't decide if I want a Mac Mini: $599 (upgrading to 4G ram:$100) with a 24" HDMI HP Monitor ($300), or a 24" iMac :$1499. Another $100 for the mouse and keyboard if I do decide to choose the Mac Mini w/24 monitor.

So it's $1099 total for the Mac Mini, monitor, keyboard/mouse VS. $1499 iMac.

The reason I'm asking is I need your help to decide. I don't do much video editing, or anything that requires intense use of a desktop. I do play games but they both have the same video card so that's not a problem. I web browse, chat, listen and download music usually at the same time, and my computer is on usually 15 hours a day.

Every 3-4 years I do plan to upgrade my Mac Mini with another one, and the iMac is just too heavy to sell/ship online if i choose to upgrade that.

Questions:

1) How much does the iMac 24 outperform the Mac Mini? Is there a significant pro that the iMac has vs a Mac Mini?

2) How long do iMacs' monitors last? Nothing last forever which is a reason I'm scared to get an iMac because it would be too expensive to fix the screen if it ever goes out (once again I'm usally on a desktop for 15 hours a day, my comp is just on all the time.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jizzle32 View Post

Hey guys I am in a big dilemma. I can't decide if I want a Mac Mini: $599 (upgrading to 4G ram:$100) with a 24" HDMI HP Monitor ($300), or a 24" iMac :$1499. Another $100 for the mouse and keyboard if I do decide to choose the Mac Mini w/24 monitor.

The reason I'm asking is I need your help to decide. I don't do much video editing, or anything that requires intense use of a desktop. I do play games but they both have the same video card so that's not a problem. I web browse, chat, listen and download music usually at the same time, and my computer is on usually 15 hours a day.

Every 3-4 years I do plan to upgrade my Mac Mini with another one, and the iMac is just too heavy to sell/ship online if i choose to upgrade that.

Questions:

1) How much does the iMac 24 outperform the Mac Mini? Is there a significant pro that the iMac has vs a Mac Mini?

2) How long do iMacs' monitors last? Nothing last forever which is a reason I'm scared to get an iMac because it would be too expensive to fix the screen if it ever goes out (once again I'm usally on a desktop for 15 hours a day, my comp is just on all the time.

What do you guys think?

Personally, i would go with the iMac. It's just a neater machine and perfect for what you said you would do on your computer.

You get a better processor, more RAM and a way better GPU just for about 300 dollars more and you get the all in one form factor so wire messes should not be a problem.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Questions:

Given that the 24" iMac also has a 9400M you're really looking at the 0.66Ghz difference and a better hard drive and the ability to go to 8GB.

Note that the $400 difference means you can almost buy two minis.

Quote:

What do you guys think?

They last as long as any other monitor. I bought the $599 mini. The only iMac I would consider is the $1,799 24" with the GT120. For gaming the GT120 will be a lot better.

The $1499 iMac just isn't that great a deal considering I can get a 27" Ultrasharp from Dell for $699.

If I'm willing to do refurb, I can get a Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" for $799. That is a seriously nice monitor. So assuming:

$599 mini

$301 upgrades (memory, HD, keyboard, mouse and dual link adapter)

$799 Dell 3007WFP-HC 30"

-----

$1,699 vs $1,499 for a 30" rig that is almost as fast. And trust me...the dinky little mini pretty much disappears under a 30" monitor anyway.

Or go with the 27" refurb ($499 w/DVI, $599 w/HDMI), save an additional $99 on not needing the dual link adapter and end up at $1,299.

$1,399 vs $1,499 for a 27" rig that is almost as fast and better for viewing HD.

I'd go this route.

Then in a few years...eBay the mini for whatever and get a new mini while using the same monitor, keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I agree almost 100% with vinea. I have a 20 inch iMac from 11/2007. Came w/Tiger and a Leopard upgrade. I am not blown away by the monitor. Refresh is slow by todays standards. I would have been better off getting a Mini. A good monitor should equal the life of two computers. Can't exactly do that with iMac. While I'm happy with my current choice, it probably won't happen again. I'll get back to you in 11/2012.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Mac mini

Pro:

Size and flexiblity to choose your own monitor

Con:

Expandabilty and performance

iMac

Pro:

Nice monitor (IPS probably better than the HP you're looking at)

more RAM and Drive expandability

Performance

cohesive and clean setup. iSight, mouse and keyboard Applecare coverage for everything

Con:

Flexibility ...stuck with monitor

Price ..more expensive
  • Reply 5 of 10
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Nice monitor (IPS probably better than the HP you're looking at)

Hard to say...never found a $300 24" on the HP site. The 24" Dell Ultrasharp is a $519 and are S-PVA and I think have Display Port. They run cheaper when they still had the 2007 version in stock. When the 2009s get released the current 2008s will drop.

There's a $549 25" at HP. I suspect that's S-PVA as well since the TN monitors run $300ish.

There are no 24" Ultrasharps at the outlet store. The 27" is S-PVA while the 30" is IPS.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Screen prices are dropping like a ROCK at the moment so I would go the Mac Mini. Does what you need to do, and you could start off with a nice 22" external monitor now, and trade up to a nice 26" or something in about a year.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jizzle32jizzle32 Posts: 11member
    I think I will be picking up a mini+ lcd combo. just a few more questions:

If I upgrade the ram myself, does taking apart the mac mini void apple care?

Also, what keyboard and mice combos do you recommend? I prefer logitech but can't seem to find any good ones. I saw a all white, i prefer black .

Thanks guys.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:

I think I will be picking up a mini+ lcd combo. just a few more questions:

If I upgrade the ram myself, does taking apart the mac mini void apple care?

Also, what keyboard and mice combos do you recommend? I prefer logitech but can't seem to find any good ones. I saw a all white, i prefer black .

Thanks guys.

Changing the RAM yourself only voids the warranty if you break something while changing it. This is true of any Mac, whether its easy to access the RAM or not. If you're careful and don't break anything how are they going to know you took it apart???

Can't help you on the keyboard/mouse. I love the Apple ones myself.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    just another question, I have an Epson All in One printer I bought a few years ago. Will macs be compatible with this printer? thanks!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

just another question, I have an Epson All in One printer I bought a few years ago. Will macs be compatible with this printer? thanks!

You can check online or check the Epson site for Mac drivers for that model... It may be compatible.