New MBP Ram What gives?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK, Here is the story, my current Macbook has 4GB ram and with PS CS4, Dreamweaver, Flash Pro, the occasional dabble in xcode and Premiere Pro, and more, I am pushing it to the limit, so I wanna upgrade to a MBP...

I want a 15 inch with 8GB RAM, but Apple will not let the 15 inch run 8GB: it is the same exact chipset as the 17 inch and both have 2 slots, so why no 8gb support in the 15??

Will the "new" 15 inch MBPs run 8 if I buy 2 4GBs aftermarket?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    You can run 6GB (see the Mactracker application and web reports)... One 2GB and one 4GB. Two 4GB's doesn't work. Maybe disabled at the BIOS (EFI) level. Maybe there'll be a hack to enable 8GB on the 15".
  • Reply 2 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

You can run 6GB (see the Mactracker application and web reports)... One 2GB and one 4GB. Two 4GB's doesn't work. Maybe disabled at the BIOS (EFI) level. Maybe there'll be a hack to enable 8GB on the 15".

If it cant run 8 gb out of the box, it is a toy, not a pro tool. A freaken $900 Dell laptop can run 8GB...My problem is the fact that the "new" MBPs this week cant do 8GB, they expect us to buy the clownishly large 17 inch to get real performance...Give me a break...

I hope Windows 7 is as good as OSX do I can leave this god awful hardware platform...As of now, many of my circle of friends tolerate the goofy hardware restrictions just for the privilege of using the best OS on the market, tradeoffs like this are absolutely intolerable on a $2000 laptop!

</rant>

wow, I feel better having said all that/
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Ah well, I guess if you need more than 6GB you could be better off with a Mac Pro... I understand your frustration though. Apple is making me feel confused and somewhat dirty nowadays.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I read some place that the limit is not the hardware but the OS... something in the code to stop you upgrading to 8gb...

I just hope this limit goes away when snow comes along...

or maybe a firmware update or hack when the MBP becomes more mature...

we can only hope
  • Reply 5 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ah well, I guess if you need more than 6GB you could be better off with a Mac Pro... I understand your frustration though. Apple is making me feel confused and somewhat dirty nowadays.

My point is that Apple is artificialy limiting its hardware so that a $2000+laptop is less capable than a $1000 dell...

as to 8GB, I dont need it today, but at the rate I am going, I may in the next year or two, and I cant afford to replace a $2000-$2500 laptop each and every year...but I can afford RAM in 4GB SODIMMS once the prices drop, which ethey will...It wasnt long ago that 2GB SODIMMs were $250+.