U2 jumps ship from Apple to Research in Motion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 111
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Apple should just get with it and release the Jonas Bros iPod already.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    I wouldn't read into this. U2 and Apple are likely to continue friendliness.

Apple is widely known within the music industry as not a sponsor. They don't pay to sponsor tours or even get commercial endorsements too much.

If Apple will introduce a new iphone/ipod or laptop with charity proceeds to u2's charity, i think there will be embrace again. similarly U2 needs promo in itunes for its new album.

sorry, this is a non-issue to me, Blackberry only competes with iphone as a pda, not a music player. or only in a very very limited manner.
  • Reply 23 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

To state article's facts in a different way, but there hasn't been a U2 themed iPod for two or three years, and that color theme was in line with the How to Build an Atomic Bomb album.

Ahem. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antiorario View Post

Ahem. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Oh, OK, you're right. Maybe I was playing the tracks in the reverse order.
  • Reply 25 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

I wouldn't read into this. U2 and Apple are likely to continue friendliness.

Apple is widely known within the music industry as not a sponsor. They don't pay to sponsor tours or even get commercial endorsements too much.

If Apple will introduce a new iphone/ipod or laptop with charity proceeds to u2's charity, i think there will be embrace again. similarly U2 needs promo in itunes for its new album.

sorry, this is a non-issue to me, Blackberry only competes with iphone as a pda, not a music player. or only in a very very limited manner.

But they're "Jumping Ship"!!!
  • Reply 26 of 111
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    This just shows that U2 can be bought by anyone.

Who cares anyway?

The first album was excellent, everything else since has just been going through the motions IMO.
  • Reply 27 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Good for U2. They are a business and just like any business they need to look out for their own interests and the interests of their "shareholders" (the fans). Not a big deal.

The fans are hardy the shareholders. I never have received a divadend from them, i've only shelled out dough to go see them and listen to their music, no regrets but lets be real here.

It's about money, and profit and how much they can stuff into their pockets this time around. Live nation is a notoriously greedy blood sucking company who cares little about anything other than its own survival.
  • Reply 28 of 111
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I don't think so.

RIM is in trouble. Stock down. Sales down. Service is down (not today, but soon)

Their new phones are being returned.

Their attempt to unseat the iPhone has failed.

They suffered some severe fines.

And relying on an old rocker who buries his wealth in off-shore island accounts strategy is going to turn a pigs ear into a gold purse? I wouldn't bet on it.

Apple's stock is way own, too, despite record sales so we really can't use that as an indicator. Their Storm/Thunder was returned in droves, but it was bought in droves, as well, which shows a lot of brand loyalty with RiM. They certainly id have some SW updates but that seems to be getting worked out. Apple had some SW issues with iPhone v1 and v2. I didn't have any of the issues with v1, but v2 I did suffer the constant Safari crashes. I think RiM will recover from this and come back with some hard lessons learned.

But regardless of the popularity of U2, I still say this shows that "Canadian-based Blackberry maker" (hehe) is migrating toward more multimedia. It seems to me that most people get stuck into their musical tastes at some point, and I'd wager that the mean average age of a RiM customer is older than an iPhone/iPod customer so perhaps this isn't such a bad move for RiM. I guess time will tell.

PS: I have not heard of these offshore islands. Is Bono creating a Jurassic Park? he is getting pretty old. Perhaps U2 is cloning themselves. Apparently all you need is a giant turd.

• Reply 29 of 111
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Frankly who cares, there are bigger issues than this.
  • Reply 30 of 111
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

But they're "Jumping Ship"!!!

The Panic Monkeys (also known as stock analysts) will start hitting their big red "Sell" buttons any second now.
  • Reply 31 of 111
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    This is a Non-Story :-

1. U2 need a sponsor for the tour.

2. Apple do not sponsor music bands or tours, so there is no use asking Apple.

3. U2 go to the market and try to find a sponsor, the best deal they get is from RIM.

4. U2 take the offer from RIM, deal done.

5. Apple don't care a bit, it is no snub to them, nor is it anything more than a money deal with RIM / U2, regardless of the marketing hype of "shared vision". The only shared vision they have is that they will both benefit from the deal financially.
  • Reply 32 of 111
    Quote:

Actually, I'm a fan of U2 (not a huge fan, mind you) and I have to agree. The new album is kind of weak as far as memorable songs goes. I only bought one of the singles.

You clearly have not listened to this enough.

You''ll get it sooner or later, its a masterpiece!
  • Reply 33 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Oh, OK, you're right. Maybe I was playing the tracks in the reverse order.

No biggie. It was a disappointing album anyway. The track I really liked is the bonus track, "Fast Cars," which I guess most people didn't even get...
  • Reply 34 of 111
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

Actually, I'm a fan of U2 (not a huge fan, mind you) and I have to agree. The new album is kind of weak as far as memorable songs goes. I only bought one of the singles.

Did you buy it on the Blackberry music store?
  • Reply 35 of 111
    They're not really meant for Apple anyway- wasn't their biggest hit titled "I Will Follow"?
  • Reply 36 of 111
    this doesn't matter because U2's new album "No Line on the Horizon" isn't very good (in my opinion.)
  • Reply 37 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Did you buy it on the Blackberry music store?

Good one
  • Reply 38 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazimzadeh View Post

this doesn't matter because U2's new album "No Line on the Horizon" isn't very good (in my opinion.)

Let me guess: you liked the previous two?

• Reply 39 of 111
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They're not really meant for Apple anyway- wasn't their biggest hit titled "I Will Follow"?

Actually it's more like "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"

p.s.: Bono, what about those ugly goggles? Changing them anytime soon?
  • Reply 40 of 111
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    U2 didn't "jump ship" as this article would like us all to think. U2 partnered with Apple on the U2 iPod to promote the release of their new album and their entire catalog on iTunes. That's it. They aren't long time partners or buddies that have recently gone their separate ways; the U2 iPod was released several years ago and hasn't been sold for a year and a half now. I would hardly call that "jumping ship".

And how exactly does RIM's sponsorship have anything to do with the Palm Pre vs. the iPhone? Are they saying it's an intentional move to help kill the iPhone? Wouldn't it also take away attention from Palm as well?

Here's what really happened... #1. Apple doesn't sponsor concert tours. #2. RIM made the best offer. #3. End of story.

Why would RIM want to sponsor U2... because they knew moronic analysts would somehow turn this into "U2 hates the iPhone".