Oh the irony Terrible Iphone 3G Applecare experience advice wanted

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
To cut a long story short, I had an Iphone 3g. After buying it the case cracked and small microbubbles appears on the rear black plastic. Apple replaced the phone for me and after 4 months using the new phone i swopped the case for a new one when i noticed two small cracks int he corners of the plastic near the dock connector.

I contacted Apple again, and they made me pay £29 for a quick repsonse replacement. So my 3 Iphone arrives and UPS take the old one. This was about a week ago, UPS dropped a package off at my home and guess what...

It's my recently returned Iphone with a message saying that because the damage is classed as accidential I'm not covered and that because i had the rapid replacement they'll debit £370 from my account for the new phone.

To top it off my old iphone was not in the box but loose in the plastic UPS bag and was covered in scratches on both the plastic case and glass.

I was shocked, upset and angry so called Apple. I ended up being passed about from pillar to post before talking to someone in Cork who was the rudest person I've spoken to in some time. He told me my phone had water damage and thus it was not covered. He sent me an image of this pink moisture indicator and told me tough.

I explained that I'd never got it wet, not once and that regardless my issue was cosmetic. he refused to discuss the cracks, talked over me, raised his voice and blamed me. I told him about the additional damage, he laughed and told me to contact UPS. I told him i was disgusted by his attitude and wanted to escalate this. He refused and told me he was the most senior guy there, he emailed me the image of the moisture sensor and again told me it was tough.

I demanded to speak to someone senior, he told his boss was on holiday and his boss did not want to speak to me. I got there names and ended the call.

I've emailed Apple with my experience and included pictures, I'm also utter gutted in Apple. My one question is this, if they offered me the £29 quick rpelacment on the phone and never mentioned the potential additional cost, is this not miss-selling?

Any advice, support ideas would be massively appreciated.

Ironically I'd worked with Apple as a consultant in 2004 when they were thinking about using T-mobile in the UK as an MVNO carrier for the original Iphone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kmac1036kmac1036 Posts: 281member
    WOW, that's interesting.

Does the phone you have now have the pink spot in the headphone jack?

UPS might be able to cover some of the damage cost as it was returned damaged, but that's how Apple re-packed it, so your recourse is probably sitting with Apple...

You could try calling again, different time / shift so you don't get the same guy.

They may still not cover the cracking, I haven't heard of the cases cracking like that, but haven't been checking the forums or anything else for it either, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

Try again I guess, might get someone reasonable.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    They made you pay or you agreed to pay?

Was there any paperwork that you signed when the phone was picked up?

Does it have T&C's?

What alternatives were offered to the £29 service?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    smartzsmartz Posts: 34member
    I was offered 3 options. The first was to go to an Apple Store, but since i live over an hour from my nearest and have 2 young kids who are a nightmare in shopping centers this ruled this one out.

The next was to send the phone off and have it looked with a 14 day turnaround and then i was offered the express swop out. This had a charge of £29 but would get a me a replacement next working day.

So i went for this, the next day UPS collected the old phone and dropped off the brand new one. The first I heard about the T&C's was on the letter that came with my old phone today. It's called an ARS policy.

I decided to get in touch with some old consulting friends and they've got me the names for some senior brass at Apple for both UK and US. I resent the email explaining the whole unpleasant experience and attached some photos.

I'll let you know how i get on.