Unmounting Your Hard Drive In OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I used a program (I can't remember the name) that makes a boot CD for OS X and during the process of creating the boot cd it asked to add the applications you desire to use on the boot cd. All went well and it boots fine except for the fact that it takes forever.

Anyway getting to the problem...

When using Disk Utility or even Drive 10 I am unable to unmout the hard drive.(while booted off the cd) In Disk Utility if I try to erase the drive it starts to but just stops and acts as if nothing happened. Drive 10 gives an error that the drive is unable to be unmounted.

I'm on a new iBook with 10.2.1 if that will assist you.

I wish someone can help me with this problem as I am new to OS X. I had an original bondi iMac but i sold it many years ago. Thanks for your help...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    This sounds like a genius bar post to me. Finding out the name of the app that created the CD would likely help a lot.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I used Charles' BootCD utility if it will assist you at all.

I'm not an idiot I just have only been using OS X for less than a month. I do enjoy it much more than OS 9 however. I also have a problem with certian web sites when trying to load them. IE will just sit and hang for a few mins before loading them. I then switched to Netscape and it solved the problem or so I thought. Anyway after a few days Netscape started the same problem. BTW its not the internet connection I don't think.(ATT cable modem)If I go to say <a href="http://www.apple.com"; target="_blank">www.apple.com</a> and hit refresh it works fine so I leave it to you for some help...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by HoTT RoDeR 26:

<strong>I also have a problem with certian web sites when trying to load them. IE will just sit and hang for a few mins before loading them. I then switched to Netscape and it solved the problem or so I thought. Anyway after a few days Netscape started the same problem. BTW its not the internet connection I don't think.(ATT cable modem)If I go to say <a href="http://www.apple.com"; target="_blank">www.apple.com</a> and hit refresh it works fine so I leave it to you for some help...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Might this not be related to having a cable connection? I believe cable providers use, by default, a big-ass proxy for all their users, which might mean that, if the page you request is not cached, it has to go and fetch it on the net. Maybe it's a bit overloaded.

Also, with cable modems, you do NOT have a dedicated line. Some providers will not take precautions for this. The effect: the more users sucking bandwith, the less bandwith available for each of them. (by saying precautions, I mean: the provider could counteract this by making the cable-loops serve fewer users).

This used to be the biggest problem in the beginning of cable, but if you have a provider that doesn't really care, it might well be the problem you have. (this is actually the reason I'm going DSL: you might have less theoretical bandwidth - depending on the provider - but at least you your bandwidth ready for you at all time.)
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I thank you for your helpful hints but as to the internet I feel the problem is not the cable modem. The problem occurs to the same web pages religously and something as simple as booting into OS 9 will fix the problem. IE works fine with all the pages that cause the problem in X. So I donno, maybe its a network bug in OS X...