Help Please. iMac and WNR2000 Wireless-N Router

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all,

I have a 2.4 Gh Aluminum iMac running OSX 10.5.6. I connect to the internet via Windstream and a Speedstream 4200 DSL modem. I am trying to connect a Netgear WNR2000 Wireless-N Router to the system but even after I go through all of the power up sequence as described in the user manual, I can not connect to the internet with the router connected to the iMac and modem. I can not access the router through the iMac either. All of the lights on the router that are suppose to be on are indeed on, although the ethernet light on the router is orange instead of blue like the rest of the lights. I called Netgear technical support and that was the most painful and fruitless tech support call of my life (I'm not sure if the tech support person had ever seen a Mac let alone know how to troubleshoot one).

So, can anyone help me out with how to get this router to work with my iMac and DSL modem?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmtucker View Post

Hello all,

I have a 2.4 Gh Aluminum iMac running OSX 10.5.6. I connect to the internet via Windstream and a Speedstream 4200 DSL modem. I am trying to connect a Netgear WNR2000 Wireless-N Router to the system but even after I go through all of the power up sequence as described in the user manual, I can not connect to the internet with the router connected to the iMac and modem. I can not access the router through the iMac either. All of the lights on the router that are suppose to be on are indeed on, although the ethernet light on the router is orange instead of blue like the rest of the lights. I called Netgear technical support and that was the most painful and fruitless tech support call of my life (I'm not sure if the tech support person had ever seen a Mac let alone know how to troubleshoot one).

So, can anyone help me out with how to get this router to work with my iMac and DSL modem?

Thanks,

Mike

Have you configured the wireless router? I doubt you have. With Netgear you may need a pc to do this.

Once its configured and sended its wireless signal you should be able to connect with your iMac. I had an old Netgear wireless g router and my MBP had no trouble connecting with the network once it was established.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Have you configured the wireless router? I doubt you have. With Netgear you may need a pc to do this.

Thanks for the info. So if I boot my iMac up on Windows via Bootcamp would that allow me to configure the router?

Thanks,

Mike
  • Reply 3 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmtucker View Post

Thanks for the info. So if I boot my iMac up on Windows via Bootcamp would that allow me to configure the router?

Thanks,

Mike

I believe so. You'll be able to contact netgear and they can walk you through it. I have a pc also and when I had the netgear router ( I have an Airport Extreme Base Station now) I'm almost positive that's how it was done.