Dell Mini 9 OS X Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was just wondering, can the wireless card in a Dell Mini 9, with OS X installed, be used to share a wifi signal?

The hotel that I stay in has only a wired connection. Normally, I just use my MacBook to share a wifi signal so that I can download podcast via wireless to my iPhone.

With all of this Hackintosh talk, I was just wondering if it works.

Also, does the touchpad's scroll feature still work, or does multitouch work?

I might just build one for fun this week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    We don't discuss Hackintoshes on this forum.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

We don't discuss Hackintoshes on this forum.

http://mydellmini.com/
  • Reply 3 of 7
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I was just wondering, can the wireless card in a Dell Mini 9, with OS X installed, be used to share a wifi signal?

The hotel that I stay in has only a wired connection. Normally, I just use my MacBook to share a wifi signal so that I can download podcast via wireless to my iPhone.

With all of this Hackintosh talk, I was just wondering if it works.

Also, does the touchpad's scroll feature still work, or does multitouch work?

I might just build one for fun this week.

Since the Mini 9 is apparently the best OS X Netbook around and most everything works out of the box, i would assume it would work. Give it a try, report back.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    I am rather interested in the Mini 9. I would not want it with any other OS than Microsoft. I would either get it with XP or wait for Windows 7 Starter. Assuming I could read the Mini screen, and that is a huge if, the Mini would fit my needs a million times more than an iPod. I listen to web music and they all require Flash. To the best of my knowledge, Safari for the iPod does not allow for this. Also assuming I could play music with the likes of Winamp on the Mini, with it all closed up and in a big pocket, then it would become my version of the iPod. I have zero desire to run Mac OS X on a toy PC. Mac OS 9, maybe. It would be nice if Apple wasn't so demanding. It is okay to run Windows on a Mac, but not the other way around. Insane!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

Since the Mini 9 is apparently the best OS X Netbook around and most everything works out of the box, i would assume it would work. Give it a try, report back.

About it being the best OS X netbook,I 'll have to disagree. I have an MSI Wind that I upgraded with a 7200 rpm 250Gb HD,2 Gb RAM and a Dell 1510 wireless-n card that works as Airport under OS X with native drivers. It has a bigger, better keyboard and a bigger screen (10") than the Dell Mini and the biggest thing is that you are not limited to small and very expensive SSD drives. Not to mention that it can be overclocked from the BIOS to run at 1.96GHz and it's cheaper to boot!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danvid36 View Post

About it being the best OS X netbook,I 'll have to disagree. I have an MSI Wind that I upgraded with a 7200 rpm 250Gb HD,2 Gb RAM and a Dell 1510 wireless-n card that works as Airport under OS X with native drivers. It has a bigger, better keyboard and a bigger screen (10") than the Dell Mini and the biggest thing is that you are not limited to small and very expensive SSD drives. Not to mention that it can be overclocked from the BIOS to run at 1.96GHz and it's cheaper to boot!

Well what I ment was that from everything I have read on different sites about it, everything just will work when you install OS X on it. Gizmodo had an article and said it was really painless compared to the other Hackintosh netbooks out there in the market.

I am sure you can upgrade another machine to make it faster but I was just talking about a base model installation.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

Well what I ment was that from everything I have read on different sites about it, everything just will work when you install OS X on it. Gizmodo had an article and said it was really painless compared to the other Hackintosh netbooks out there in the market.

I am sure you can upgrade another machine to make it faster but I was just talking about a base model installation.

Even as a base model install it beats the Mini hands down. The first time I did it I used the custom MSI Wind iso with a hacked kernel but as it's widely known it is a pain in the ass to upgrade sometime between point releases even though everything worked right out of the box except for the wireless, which is a reason I replaced the internal wireless card. Then I tried the retail Leopard with the boot-132 method and it's now as functional as a real machine_you can do software updates without fear of breaking your install.